General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Lexus SC400 Down, Audi A6 Up

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 11:34 PM
1st Gear
Default Lexus SC400 Down, Audi A6 Up

On Jack Stands I mean.
Newb to Audi site now that son #2 just bought a 2000 Audi A6 2.7T Quattro. Son #1's '92 SC400 now back on the road after numerous repairs.

Now comes the fun part of working out some of the bugs with the Audi. This is the 1st Audi I (we) worked on, so I expect a learning curve. I expect many of the problems are generic so someone hopefully has DIY info on the fixes. I pulled a shopping list of codes that we'll need to address. Haven't searched yet, but I promise I will. Any pointers on repairs or specific links that address them are appreciated.

Car Info:
2000 Audi A6 2.7T Quattro V6
6sp Manual Trans.
133K miles

CEL (key started):
ABS
Blinking Brake
Airbag

CEL (key on):
All above + EPC light on tach ?

Also center information LCD display not working anytime.

Codes:
P1690 - Malfunction Indication Light Malfunction
P1606 - Rough Road Spec Engine Torque ABS-ECU Electrical Malfunction
P1340 - Crankshaft-/Camshaft Pos.Sens.Signals Out of Sequence
P0300 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P1519 - Intake Camshaft Contr.,Bank1 Malfunction

Thanks in advance to any help provided.

Old 09-08-2011, 12:36 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by CRuby
CEL (key started):
ABS
Blinking Brake
Airbag

CEL (key on):
All above + EPC light on tach ?

Also center information LCD display not working anytime.

Codes:
P1690 - Malfunction Indication Light Malfunction
P1606 - Rough Road Spec Engine Torque ABS-ECU Electrical Malfunction
P1340 - Crankshaft-/Camshaft Pos.Sens.Signals Out of Sequence
P0300 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P1519 - Intake Camshaft Contr.,Bank1 Malfunction

Thanks in advance to any help provided.
Hello, i own a similar 2001 a6 2.7t auto trans. Based on the codes given your in for quite a few non related repairs. The MILM light is rare and can be attributed many things. A wet passenger floor (drain near pass windsheild clogs up) dumps water under the carpet. TCM and other harnesses are affected and can cause a funny problem like that. PCM replacement is possible. The 1606 code is another signal to that symptom.

The 1340 and 1519 sound more related to a timing belt issue? If you're unsure of the status of of your tbelt wpump i would consider the overhaul (tstat too!).

The PO300 can be a number of things, happened on mine and I replaced 2 of the coilpacks and 6 plugs and been running strong for 40k miles since! Just drove from NY to CA - best way to test if its not running is to OHM out the coils, I BELIEVE a 1.8-2.0 ohm resistance is acceptable but i would check before spending ($100+ each) with a multimeter.

Hope this helps! interested to hear about your success. My a6 is for sale because I was moving to Cali but now that I got it here I may just part it out . . .? seems to be worth more $$ that way.

Goodluck

Old 09-08-2011, 12:39 AM
1st Gear

thought of one more thing . . .blinking brake light is normally due to low brake fluid in the reservoir - but im not sure how that may flow into the clutch cylinder since mine is auto! also may have sensors near rear combination valves for pressure loss . . . stuck ebrake could cause the pressure drop

still no thoughts on a rough road code other then the TCM on the passenger floor.... good luck!

Old 09-10-2011, 09:48 AM
1st Gear

_________/\__SPEED BUMPS__/\____Gotta Hate them

Thanks MmBoOsT. Previous owner said he changed timing belt ~6 months ago. I wonder if he didn't install the belt correctly & that's reason for codes 1340, 300, & 1519. Didn't notice any misfiring while driving car though. Any way to check cam timing without disassy all the way to timing belt?

Will check for wetness on passenger side. Probably need to pull carpet up on that side. Any pics/posts out there that show what's below there?
Also will check resistance on all coils while replacing plugs.

I don't have a repair manual...yet. On searching I see Bentley REPAIR manual is the way to go, not the service manual...Right? I haven't seen either, but what I want is a manual that steps though the checks to do to diagnosis each CEL code, among other major repairs like rear oil seal leaks.

Also, I see lots of info on VAG-com, but am unsure if I bite the bullet for that now. Is that a must-have for working on these cars? Will it give me more info on the codes I pulled, to help home in on problem? I'm more old school, & haven't used something like this on my cars before, but I'm sure I can manage it. Simple question: Can it be used to reset AIRBAG light?