General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Radio (stupid) Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 07:55 AM
1st Gear
Default Radio (stupid) Question

Guys, please be patient with me; I'm in Russia, have a handbook in German and have to ask what will probably sound like a stupid question, so here goes.

I have an Audi 8 4.2 Q 1999 model imported from Germany.

I want to upgrade the standard 6 CD disc player to something that will at least play MP3s (don't think that we have Phatbox in Russia yet. I have a guy searching for something suitable for me on the Moscow Technical markets and he calls me this morning and asks me, 'what make of radio is in the Audi 8 - Blaupunkt?'

I have no idea, so can anyone tell me WHO makes the radio that is in a 1999 Audi 8?

Also, if you know any model/names of an MP3 player that would be a straight swap for the existing CD box, I would also appreciate your information.

Many thanks

Moscow.

Ps. I did exhaust the Search facility, but couldn't find what I was looking for.

Old 04-22-2006, 10:07 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Radio (stupid) Question

Do you not have the Bose in that car? I thought you would? Anyway, you can find the Phatbox on Ebay for a pretty good price. You could also get an MP3 adapter for the car and just run it through the radio. My friend does that and it sounds perfect. Just like your listening to the radio. That way you could keep the CD changer too. Just have to keep the MP3 player up front with you, in the console or somethin'. Not much help but just a few ideas. Good Luck!

Old 04-17-2007, 01:39 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Radio (stupid) Question

I ought to update folks on my ventures as it MIGHT be interesting. First of all, I took my radio (Concert) for repair as the volume switch was doing its own thing. Upon removal, I was surprised to find out that it is a Blaupunkt radio (Made in Portugal) and not a Panasonic as I had originally been led to believe.

PhatNoise/Box for the European market is now in the hands of Volkswagen and I'm still being bounced around from PhatNoise to Audi to Volkswagen trying to find out where I can purchase the equipment in Russia.

In the meantime, I have discovered that I can hook up to an Alpine CD changer that has an MP-3 facility. There is a link to a UK site that may or may not be of interest to members: - http://www.addacdchanger.co.uk/Audi

I have been trying to look at the IPOD options, but I am afraid that unless it is wired in out of view, my windows will get smashed by thieves looking to see if I have left the IPOD in the glove box.