General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Misfire on 1&4 before switching ICM

Old 08-06-2016, 07:47 PM
1st Gear
Default Misfire on 1&4 before switching ICM

Good afternoon

I am the owner of a c5 a6 2.7t, and am having misfire issues, even after already replacing all spark plugs and coils for cylinders 1&4.

After running VAG-COM, I got code's for: random misfire, misfire on cylinder 1, and misfire on cylinder 4. I've been researching and saw that people were recommending switching the connectors on the ignition control modules. I find it odd that after i cleared the codes, switched the connectors on the icm, and started the car again, cylinder 1 was no longer misfiring, just cylinder 4.

Background on the car:
I've read that people were having issues with the coolant temperature sensor, but I had already replaced that part, and don't feel that to be the issue.
I've also had the dreaded nightmare of having the transmission control module under the passenger seat get flooded. No need for concern though, it's dried out, and in working condition. The car was misfiring before the flooding happened, so that rules that out (I believe).

All 6 cylinders have new sparkplugs that are OEM, and properly gapped to the cars specification's.

I'm leaning towards the ICMs being faulty, but do not want to dive right into a purchase too soon. If anyone has a similar situation, or solution, I would really appreciate it.