General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Misfire Cylinders - Ign. Coil & Plugs Changed - Still won't start HELP

Old 03-17-2008, 07:19 PM
Default Misfire Cylinders - Ign. Coil & Plugs Changed - Still won't start HELP

2005 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro:

Started engine (after parked for about 4 hours) car was shaking like it was about to stall, but didn't. Check engine light flashing, immediatly turned off engine. Generally checked hoses, oil, leaks, etc... started engine again, shaking was gone but the check engine light was solid. Drove home that night (65mph), noticed my MPG was barely reaching 20.0 - 22.0. Got home, parked... tried to move my car into the garage, STALLED on reverse, then would NOT START up again. Ran diagnosis check. Found these codes.

CODES: in this order

P0300 Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire
P0301 Cylinder 1 Misfire
P0304 Cylinder 4 Misfire (Pending)
P0300 Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire (Pending)
P0301 Cylinder 1 Misfire (Pending)
P0353 Ignition Coil C Primary/Secondary Circuit Malfunction (Pending)

Did a little research through the Audi forums, found these common issues with the older models (B6). So I changed all 4 ignition coils and spark plugs, STILL WON'T START!

ANY IDEA WHAT IT COULD BE??? Before I take it to a mechanic and get taxed!

Old 03-18-2008, 09:11 AM
4th Gear
Default RE: Misfire Cylinders - Ign. Coil & Plugs Changed - Still won't start HELP

Reset the codes and see if they all return. Check
fuses.

Old 03-18-2008, 10:42 AM
Default RE: Misfire Cylinders - Ign. Coil & Plugs Changed - Still won't start HELP

Codes did not return and fuses are all good... still wouldnt start. I tried it yesterday. I'm having towed today. I'll keep posting the status in case this happens to anyone else. Thanks for the reply though.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:07 PM
1st Gear

an ignition coil proabably shorted out and caused the ecm safety fuse to blow. it's located in the ecm box in the left rear of the engine bay. it's one of the 15 amp fuses if i remember right. this is a common problem with 2.0 liters. be sure to find the shorted coil before replacing the fuse otherwise you may over heat the ingine wiring harness. i'm an audi tech so if you have any more questions let me know

Old 03-20-2008, 10:45 AM

THANKS GEOFF! I'll try that out today and see if that works. The only thing is... I already changed all 4 ignition coils for peace of mind, but I didn't check to see which one was shorted... I'll replace the fuse anyways. THANKS AGAIN!

Old 03-20-2008, 11:16 PM
1st Gear

what about on a 2000 A4 1.8Tfwd? it's the same problem except i only have p0301, 302, 303, and 304 (misfiring in cylinders 1-4) and i already replaced everything but still shakes on cold start and then calms down when it's warmed up.

Old 06-19-2008, 04:15 PM
1st Gear

you need to replace the ignition control module. i had the same exact issue with my car. audi wanted like $600 for it but you can find it here for a great price

http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/...ategory=Engine

try that if you haven't yet it is amazing how that little control unit causes a huge misfire like that.

Note: mine is a 99 audi 1.8t though. the factory one is normally a bosch unit and it is located under the plasic cover on top of the air filter box. i replaced it with the huco unit and it worked fine. again it is the ignition module.

please check to see if it applies to your car being it is a 2000. if not then hey, at least it was some advise, and from experience that saved me a LOT of money from the dealer. if you have any questions feel free to email me at pengkha@yahoo.com.

Old 06-21-2008, 02:09 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: pengkha

you need to replace the ignition control module. i had the same exact issue with my car. audi wanted like $600 for it but you can find it here for a great price

http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/...ategory=Engine

try that if you haven't yet it is amazing how that little control unit causes a huge misfire like that.

Note: mine is a 99 audi 1.8t though. the factory one is normally a bosch unit and it is located under the plasic cover on top of the air filter box. i replaced it with the huco unit and it worked fine. again it is the ignition module.

please check to see if it applies to your car being it is a 2000. if not then hey, at least it was some advise, and from experience that saved me a LOT of money from the dealer. if you have any questions feel free to email me at pengkha@yahoo.com.
it doesnt apply to him he'spre-facelift

Old 10-16-2013, 02:31 AM
Default 05 Audi Misfire

I have A4 05 with the same exact issue. I have tried all the recommended solutions to no avail. Did you ever find out what the problem was?

Thanks,

Stephen

Old 03-17-2016, 01:21 PM
1st Gear
Default 2005 audi a4 1.8t need help icm located

Originally Posted by geoff
an ignition coil proabably shorted out and caused the ecm safety fuse to blow. it's located in the ecm box in the left rear of the engine bay. it's one of the 15 amp fuses if i remember right. this is a common problem with 2.0 liters. be sure to find the shorted coil before replacing the fuse otherwise you may over heat the ingine wiring harness. i'm an audi tech so if you have any more questions let me know

I try to find icm located help me out thank