General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Moisture in the headlamps

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 02:38 PM
3rd Gear
Default Moisture in the headlamps

Ok, so the other day I noticed some condensation in the passenger side headlight. So, I opened up the back, in hopes to vent it out.

Fast forward to this week. We get a really big rain storm, I notice there is a TON of water in the headlight & it was no longer working. Come to find out, I never closed the back up. Now, it's dark out, I'm 40mi from home, and no headlight. I remove it, remove the ballast, & find there is water all in it. ****! Looks like I need a new ballast & bulb. I button it back up, and drive home.

@ home, I take it all apart & put it under the blow dryer. The next morning, it was all nice & dry. Hooked it all back up, & it WORKED!!

HOWEVER, now I have spots all over the inside of the lens, & chrome, it just looks like poop!

Off to the food store, pick up some distilled water, & white vinegar. Mix it in a pot on the stove, heat it all up, & pour it in the headlight (all electronics removed), swish around, empty repeat.

So today, I have a brand new looking headlight, that works, the spots are all gone.

Just thought I would pass this along, that water intrusion doesn't always mean new parts!