General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Need Help !!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 02:31 AM
1st Gear
Default Need Help !!!

Okay, so about 1 week ago i was driving in boston, ( i live in New Hampshire) and i was going to a celtics game. i was in stop and go traffic and i was stopped when i began to smell a light burning (rubbery) smell. i got out checked the engine/car couldnt find anything, then the smell went away when i drove, another time i was in park at a gas station went in to buy gum, came out walked in my car and smelt the same thing and checked it again couldnt find anything.

Now her is the kicker. i just got back from 5 nights in NY nobody drove my car, and it has been VERY VERY cold in NH. this morning tried to start my car. it was dead, so i jumped it and after a long time it was working. however now the check engine light is on. i can smell the buringing alot more. i saw the smoke and it looks like its from the right front side. the other BIG problem now is my car is not accelerating like usually when i floor it, it doesnt really move much at all, i couldnt get the car over 50 mph and it strrugles the most between 1,700 and 2,900 RPM's. over the time i was gone there was a 1/5 tank of gas in the car, so i think myb it is my injector i filled up the car fully and put injector cleaner. but im very scared. anybody no what any of this stuff is. i do usually drive my car in "Triptronic" could it be my Trans. I would appreciate ANY help

Old 01-18-2007, 08:36 AM
Senior Administrator
Default RE: Need Help !!!

In order to provide ANY assistance whatsoever, we'll need to know:

year
model
engine
drive (AWD or FWD)

And, ofr good measure, your bank account and credit card #'s, too
j/k about the bank & credit #'s

Old 01-18-2007, 10:05 AM

his second post = Need help 1999 A6 quattro

have it checked out ASAP get codes from ECU and check for wiring/ground problems

Old 01-18-2007, 12:47 PM
4th Gear

^ +1, We'll need the codes. AutoZone does it free.

Old 01-18-2007, 03:24 PM
1st Gear

it is a 1999
A6 2.8
AWD
went to autozone and the code P1545 came up. said something about idoling control speed ?

i took it to some mechanic and he said that it was my transmision, because the car seems to be slipping gears however i have never had any issue with it before. i think it is more related to it being outside in the VERY COLD weather with not to much gas in it. if it was the Trans. wouldnt the car function properly in park. because it is not!!! please help guys i will be forever greatful

Old 01-18-2007, 03:36 PM

P1545 is sticking throttlevalve or tight due to carbon build up or could be the control unit bad

Old 01-18-2007, 04:03 PM
1st Gear

could this be becausethe car was left outside in extremely cold weather? how can i fix this

Old 01-19-2007, 06:12 PM
4th Gear

17953 P1545 Throttle Position Controller Malfunction

Try doing a throttle body alignment.

Old 01-19-2007, 08:36 PM
1st Gear

how do i do a throttle body alignment, or reset it. i dont even know where the throttle is. can anybody help me on how to do this. appreciate all your help guys. if i ever read anyone else with similar prob i will be sure to help them out like you guys helped me. this site it great.

Old 01-19-2007, 08:55 PM
4th Gear

Throttle body alignment:
Make sure you have the radio code.
Disconnect the battery for ten minutes
Reconnect the battery
Turn the ignition key part way, do not crank the engine
The throttle will align itself
Reset the radio
Reprogram the windows, one touch up down