General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Need Help w/ Power Steering & Finding an Honest Mech

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 09:31 PM
1st Gear
Default Need Help w/ Power Steering & Finding an Honest Mech

Hey AF,

You all understand how much it sucks to even have to be typing this message... I'm no mechanic, but I think it's something with the power steering; I spotted some drops under the front-driver side of my car at 12pm, and by 5pm I can barely steer. It feels like I'm physically steering my car with the wheel and the strength of my arms.

The car isn't running poorly at all, other than the lack of a dependable steering system. Is this sort of issue a typical one? I drive a 1998 Audi A4 2.8L. It has 130k on it now, but I bought it last year with 98k and I had the timing belt replaced before I ever drove it- other than that this car has costed me $0 other than typical maintenance.

Anyone have any recommendations? I also need help finding a dependable Audi mechanic in the Worcester (Central) Massachusetts area, I paid way too much at a dealership when I did my timing belt.. If anyone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

Old 12-22-2006, 12:14 AM
Senior Administrator
Default RE: Need Help w/ Power Steering & Finding an Honest Mech

Pop the hood and check the p/s resevoir. Should be teh only one with a green cap. Sounds like your p/s pump blew a seal. I think this is the first I;ve ever heard of someone having that problem, on these boards. Never hadda deal with that problem, myself, so I can offer 0 assistance, other than what I've already shared. Sorry.

Old 12-23-2006, 12:08 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Need Help w/ Power Steering & Finding an Honest Mech

Most likely your hoses at the reservoir or the hoses for the power steering cooler are leaking. Its fairly common. Most all of the time a new set of clamps for those hoses will take care of the leak. Toping off the fluid should return your power steering temporarly. Make sure you use the proper fluid thou. Just pick some up at your local vw dealer. Itll probably be cheaper than audi.