General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

need new brakes for b5- do I need new sensors?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 03:55 PM
Default need new brakes for b5- do I need new sensors?

[align=left]I have a 99.5 A4 2.8 and need new brakes. The sensor light has been on for some time now but I didn't take it seriously because there was still a little pad left. Now they're are almost all gone and I was checking out new brakes but don't know if I am supposed to get new brakes with sensors or if I can use the one already installed and reconnect them. I haven't taken anything apart yet so I want to know if that's possible. Also, any reccomendations on pads or sites that sell pad and rotor combos? I've been thinking of doing slotted but rather just install the brakes without new rotors if mine aren't damaged.
[/align][align=left] [/align]

Old 09-13-2007, 04:19 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: need new brakes for b5- do I need new sensors?

you can take 2 steps, the sensors are built into the pads, you can either buy the OEM stuff and just connect up the sensor or what alot of guys do when they buy race pads or other pad without the pad sensor is they cut the sensor wire and tie the ends together to make a complete circuit and thus permanetly turning off the pad wear light;.

Old 09-13-2007, 05:56 PM

Nice Sig: "An audi without quattro is just a VW"
I've seen pads that come with sensors already and their like five or ten bucks more, but it's only the for front pads. Am I correct to assume that only the front pads have sensors? Also, I saw on http://ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/page...tegory=Braking that there is a looping sensor attachment for $5 should I get that instead of splicing?

Old 09-14-2007, 12:37 PM
4th Gear

as far as i know its only the front pad that have the sensor, as far as getting the circuit loop or the pads with sensor oyu might as well get the pad with the sensor if their only $5 dollars so that way youll know when they wear down. otherwise if you plan to upgrade your pads to a more of a track compund (they usually dont have the sensor) or you just want the light out completely and just replace the pads when they look low, get the circuit loop.

Old 09-20-2007, 12:12 AM
1st Gear

All the pads for your car's front brakes with sensor will run in the $100 range. The stock brakes are a great blend of life and stopping power. If you know which you want more of (I am assuming stopping power) you should still be able to get brand name replacements with sensor for around the same price. If your pads are that low you may have dameged your roter. Otherwise leavethem on and don't over crank the luggs as to not warp it.