General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Need serious help!! 1999 Audi A4 Quattro 2.8.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 12:20 AM
1st Gear
Default Need serious help!! 1999 Audi A4 Quattro 2.8.

I have an 1999 Audi A4 Quattro 2.8 base model. So the issue is it just it wont go past 1000rpm it just sounds like it wants to die if i hold the gas down and if i let it idle it dies. Many different people have told me different things that could be the problem. I've changed the MAF sensor, Fuel pressure regulator and broke out the catalytic converters in case there were clogged and still nothing. It drives but it feels like something is holding it back it only goes up to 30mph max and it has trouble getting to 30mph. It just happened out of nowhere one day I got in my car to go home after work and thats when it started. Took me like 15min to get home when it normally takes me 5min, it felt like it wanted to die and it would accelerate pass 30mph. I would appreciate more ideas on what the problem might be. PLease!!!!

Old 04-27-2014, 02:20 PM
1st Gear

I am a novice to Audis and I am not a professional mechanic. With that said it sounds to me like it could be a fuel pump and or filter issue. IF there are no other sounds that could hint at larger problem. Generally there are three "basic" areas that could prevent a car from running...Electrical/ no spark = no power, fuel/ too much fuel or not enough = no power and mechanical/ broken stuff wont let it turn. On the electrical side you could have a few bad spark plug wires resulting in no combustion in a few cylinders. In this case you would likely smell gas as your car exhausts un-burned gas out of the cylinders that are not firing. On the fuel side you could have a situation where the fuel supply is being strangled by a clogged fuel filter and or clogged injecters or a bad fuel pump just not producing enough pressure to supply all six cylinders with enough fuel. In this case you would not smell gas. Alternatively you could have a flooding situation where either too much fuel and or not enough air is reaching the cylinders so it acts like it wants to start to accelerate but cant get complete combustion due to lack of air or too much fuel for the air it has. This would also likely produce a gas smell but not for sure if its air problems. The mechanical side would likely have noise that would indicate something is wrong like a banging where there was none before etc.

If I were you I would check my air filter and all the vacuum hoses that attache to the intake manifold. Follow them all the way back to their connection one at a time making sure there are no cracks or holes. I would also remove all the spark plugs, one at a time, and look for fouled or wet plug ends as well as checking the connections at each plug. Wet spark plugs can indicate a cylinder that is not firing for some reason and badly fouled plugs need to be replaced or at least cleaned and could indicate other problems. If you find nothing and can afford to, have someone hook it up to the puter and see what codes you get back.
This is all very basic I know and these engines have 10,000 sensors that affect each system so my steps may not yield anything but its a start. You could also just check around and look for any wires or vacuum hoses that may have come loose. I hope you find your problem.