General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

New Audi, New problems... Help plz...

Old 02-10-2008, 11:42 AM
1st Gear
Default New Audi, New problems... Help plz...

Ok here I go... I recently purchased a 2003 Audi A4 1.8T B6 with a CVT tranny (6pd side shifting). I have been doing a lot of research on the internet and also trying different driving modes to try and help with trouble shooting...
First off I am new to the Audi world so some of these things may be normal or may not be. I noticed my engine temp gauge works when it wants to. Sometimes it will going to the normal operating positon while I am driving and then next thing I know the needle is sitting at the engine off position. This could be a factor to some of my problems and could also be causing my car to burn gas a little quicker as it thinks the engine is cold. Possibly could be a loose connection somewhere but I do not have the Bently service manual yet with a wiring diagram...
Next is the main problem. I have never driven CVT automatic until now but still think there is possibly something wrong. From stop to start I will slowly push on the gas and by the time I hit about ~15mph I am already in 3rd gear. It feels as if it jumps from 1st to 3rd in a quick jerking motion. Almost looks as if I am driving a manual transmission and don't know how to shift. By the time I am at about ~45-50mph I am already in 6th gear. Another thing I am noticing is if I keep a constant throttle position between 1000-2000rpms I can see the RPMs jumping up slightly about every 4 seconds. It does this through any gear and also when I am in the manually shifting first thru sixth gear. Another thing I have noticed is at stop my normal RPMs is about 800, is this normally? At stand still the RPMs do not jump as mentioned either...
Current I do not have the Bentley Service manual for my vehicle or the Vag com which I will be buying here shortly so I am kind of limited to the troubleshooting I can do right now. When I push the "Check" button everything runs through and says all is good. When I push the "Wrench" button on the instrument panel it says "Service". I have check the engine oil and it is good. I disconnected the battery for about 10min to reset the routine service indications but I am still recieving this message. I was looking around for the ATF dip stick but I think it is a seal box as I have read you have to service it like a manual transmission, as is filling it from the side till you top out... Please if you have any input, please let me know....
Oh one last thing. I ran across an old post on the net about an Audi Technical Service Bulletin TSB #0601 that states "Vehicle shudders when accelerating at 10 tp 50% thrtottle from a stationary position, sometimes with fluctuating engine speed." A guy posted this as he was having the same problems described here in his 2002 1.8T. Thanks again guys...

Old 02-12-2008, 06:03 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: New Audi, New problems... Help plz...

Bump...

No input?

Old 02-13-2008, 10:13 PM
3rd Gear

First off I am new to the Audi world so some of these things may be normal or may not be. I noticed my engine temp gauge works when it wants to. Sometimes it will going to the normal operating positon while I am driving and then next thing I know the needle is sitting at the engine off position
Coolant temp sensors routinly fail and can cause that sort of issue.

The wrench saying service means you need an oil change. Disconnecting the battery wont get rid of that.

As for the trans concerns, this isnt your normal trans. There are not gears that shift. There is not dipstick either. Cvt stands for continuously variable transmission. The trans changes gears constaltly and the engine matches speed with the gear box to attain certain vehicle speeds based on engine load and the speed demand based on the accelerator pedal. You may want to take it to a shop familiar with that trans to check for proper operation, or drive another cvt car to compare. I know that sounds stupid, but those things dont drive like most other cars on the road. What can seem like a problem may actually be normal operation. The bullitin is for a shudder or vibration when accelerating from a standstill. If you dont have that problem the bullitin doesnt apply.

Old 02-14-2008, 07:53 PM
1st Gear

Ahh ok, I am going to meet up with a local Audi guy next weekend when I get back and we are gonna run a vag com on it and see if any errors come up... Thank you for the input, I have read a lot of different things about the CVTs and how they drive so just thought I would get some input from other audi owners... Thank you... Also where is the temp sensor located?

Old 02-29-2008, 05:50 PM
1st Gear

Well here's an update. Last night I met up with some of the local VW/Audi guys last night and they ran a Vagcom check on my car and had no problems at the time. Today I took the chance and went into the local Audi dealership to ask them some questions but, no surprise... they would not give to much information out without bringing the car in. Which is understandable but was hoping they could give me some ideas where to start. One thing they did say is that the CVT shifting should not really be felt during normal driving. Any ideas what controls the shifts? Could this possibly be a sign to change the ATFluid?

Old 03-01-2008, 03:23 PM
1st Gear

alot of people complain about CVTs because the way they respond is nothing like a normal transmission. the trans should be covered under warranty. if you feel you have an issue take it in and have a tech road test it.

to remove the service light. hold the wrench in w/ the key off... turn the key on... and hit the button directly to the right of it. it will bump it up 10,000 miles. it just a service reminder.

coolant temp sensors have are a common problem w/ the 1.8

Old 03-01-2008, 11:36 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the post Was just trying to avoid the dealership :/ Just dont want the to try and pull a fast one over on me and was trying to be without a car for a bit but will possibly head that way this week... Thanks again for the info...

Old 08-25-2008, 04:13 PM
1st Gear

Bump...

I have changed temp sensor as well...

Old 09-01-2008, 04:56 PM

If its not the temp sensor it could possibly be the Instrument cluster, you would have to take it into the dealership for that. As for resetting the sevice light either a. get your car serviced and they will reset it or b. service it yourself and do what "the Knight fall" said. As for the CVT it doesnt actually "shift" the computer as pre determined points to make the appearance of shifting because when they first came out people would think their tranny is broken cuz it didnt have the jerk of shifting.