General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

New FEMALE member NEEDS HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 10:55 AM
1st Gear
Default New FEMALE member NEEDS HELP!!!

Hey Guys! I recently bought a used 2006 Audi A4 with 107,000 miles. I have had issue after issue and the mechanics seem to be giving me the run around. First the cars traction control light would stay on and they told me they could find nothing wrong then the car seemed to sputter or skip and the oil pressure light came on so I take it in and they change the oil and replace the filter saying maybe it had bad oil in it. Within the next two weeks the engine light comes on and the car is jumping. They come tow it in. Said its a bad coil and an ec sensor or something like that. They take a week and fix those. Pick it up on a Monday and Tues night i notice a big puddle under the car and move the car to take a picture and the coolant light is on. I swear these guys are screwing with me or something. All of this is within the first month of owning this car. They have done all this for free and i appreciate that and feel they should since it was certified by the Honda dealership where i bought it. PLEASE TELL ME WHAT YOU GUYS THINK. Is something they did on my this last repair causing all my coolant to leak out? Im taking it in today but would love to be armed with advice from you guys. THANK YOU!!!!

Old 10-21-2015, 12:01 PM
2nd Gear

The traction control light + check engine light is almost always the MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor. On way to verify it is to unplug it and drive it. The engine will use the other sensors to determine the fuel/air mix. If the MAF sensor is sending faulty signals (more or less airflow signal than that is really occurring) the engine computer will use this faulty information and cause it to do wonky things.

The coolant system must be bled properly or else it will puke coolant out when hot (air in the system). The "jumping" or mis-fire could certainly have been the coil on one of the cylinders. MOST OF ALL, do NOT drive the car or run the engine until you can find someone to verify that engine is full of oil and the coolant is full. Otherwise, I'd have it towed to the reputable shop that knows German vehicles.

My advice is to find a reputable German Car Shop in your area if possible. Last resort is the stealer...er...I mean dealer. Honda's are not Audi's but the basic mechanical operations are the same as any other car. German cars are precision made machines and some mechanics cannot deal with them at all.

Last edited by dave944; 10-21-2015 at 12:05 PM.
Old 10-21-2015, 12:13 PM
1st Gear

Thank you for responding so fast. I have been having the repairs done at the actual Audi dealership because they are both owned by the same company (FLOW). I would think an Audi mechanic would be able to find and fix the issues with my car. They have had it at the shop 3 times now. The only repair done was replace the coils and the EC Sensor and after getting it back from that repair is when the coolant or what i think is coolant all drained out in my driveway overnight, huge puddle and so thats what caused the coolant light to come on. They are looking at it today and I just want to be prepared so I am not sent home again for these issues to keep happening.

Old 10-21-2015, 01:09 PM
2nd Gear

Yeah. The coolant reservoir has a float sensor on it that will trigger when the coolant has gotten too low. Even if the car is not running. It may have coincidentally popped a hose or something like that. When you have a puddle that big under the car, it's not hard to track it down. Hopefully they'll get you going soon.

Old 10-21-2015, 01:21 PM
1st Gear

Thanks again dave944.

Old 10-21-2015, 07:50 PM
Former Sponsor

Welcome! Glad to see a fellow female member.