General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

New Light!!! Please help with identifying...

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 01:21 PM
3rd Gear
Default New Light!!! Please help with identifying...

Well. I have a new light that is on. It's not the CEL but a picture. It's a yellow circle with 3 yellow dashes on each side of it. I thought it may have been a bulb out but I don't think any of my lights are burned out? Does anyone know what this picture is? Why is driving this car like playing pictionary? Why can't it just tell you what is wrong?

I don't have a manual either.

2001 Audi A6 4.2L Quattro

Thanks!

Old 10-27-2006, 08:36 PM
Senior Administrator
Default RE: New Light!!! Please help with identifying...

Your front brake pads have worn down to teh sensors... Replace your pads ASAP. You've got MAYBE 500 miles until you're scraping metal, less if you're in the habit of braking late.

Old 10-27-2006, 11:47 PM
3rd Gear

Crap. What next.

Old 10-27-2006, 11:51 PM
3rd Gear

Maybe I can get it in tomorrow morning. Anyone know if it's safe to take anywhere but the stealership? Funny how this happens only 2 weeks after I get it back from them. Very frustrating.

Old 10-28-2006, 01:32 AM
Senior Administrator

Dude, DIY, takes less than an hour, unless you're gonna do your rears, too... Which'll add about another 90 minutes, unless you got a brake caliper tool, which you can rent from advance auto parts (or, some other chains, check local listings). Hell, you don't even need to be indoors. I did it in teh rain, once, but I'm not exactly proud of that. NEway, seriously, it's sooper-simple. But, to answer your question, you'd be a big, dumb doody-head to take it to the stealer. They'll RAPE you!!! If there's anybody on your block who's got, like, a late-model pony car, get them to talk you throo it[&:]. Or, there's like 200-300 walk-throughs on teh forum.

Honestly, you've got about a week of driving before you start scraping metal, which you don't wanna do, unless you're gonna upgrade your rotors, too. Maybe some nice x-drilled&slotted jobbies. If you go THAT route, make sure you DON'T get ceramic pads. They'll crack any reasonably priced set of D&S'd rotors.

Where was I? Oh yeah! DIY... I'll see if I can find a decent walk-through, for you, if you want. But, if you'd rather PIY (pay-it-yourself), AVOID the stealer! It'd be cheaper to ship the car BACK TO GERMANY, and have the guy at the docks do it for you...

Old 10-28-2006, 02:05 AM
3rd Gear

Well, I posted on my local yahoo Audi group and got a reply from someone at a local high performance Audi shop. They are highly recommended by all the Audi guys I know around town. They will do it for $180 labor plus parts which I get 10 percent off with my Audi club discount. I really don't know if I can do it myself though? I would like to see a good walk through. I'm not sure if the rotors need replaced or not? The guy quoted me $180 and that was for rotors too. It will be less if I just need pads. He can also get me in on Monday.

If you have a good DIY, I would like to see it. Just not sure if I'm brave enough to tackle it.

Old 10-28-2006, 04:47 AM
Senior Administrator

Is that 180 for just the fronts, or all the way around?

It's gotta be just for the fronts. rotors and pads, X4 would run you 180, easy.

Hadda drive home from work, so I dint get a chance to look up the DIY until now. Here's the first, but not necessairly the best one I found. I'm a little loopy from lack of sleep (18hour work days'll do that, sometimes), so I'll search for a better on tomorrow, but this one: http://www.audiworld.com/tech/wheel25.shtml will give you a very good idea of whats involved. Doing rotors, at the same time really only invlves pulling the old rotor off and putting the new one in it's place. A monkey cud do it, literally. If oyu're gonna do the rears, too, you WILL want/need the harbor freight caliper tool. Believe me when I say it turns a 90-minute job into a 45-minute cake-walk.

You know what, being that your sensors have already lit up, and you don't already have the tools, I'd say go ahead and cough up 180small on having your shop do it. We can get you up to speed; tools; wlakthrough; insider tips, etc., befor your next brake job. I promise. I also promise you that, if you can tie your shoes, and remember this one KEY mantra: righty-tighty/lefty-loosey, you can DIY your pads, next time it cmes up.

I'm toast! G'night