General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

newbee here with sick running a4

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 05:01 PM
Default newbee here with sick running a4

hi there all,

ill kick off with my situation - 4 days ago i decided for the 1st ever time to become an audi owner, i purchased a 1998 a4 2.8 v6 at a very nice price indeed! took the car round the block from stone cold and all seemed fine, HOWEVER i have now found that when the car gets warm it has a real bad misfire which progressivley gets worse the hotter the car gets until it all evens out to a point where its very near to undrivable but having said this it don't go past this point and still keeps on running regardless of the temp. don't get me wrong, its not over heating its just popping and farting real bad! i'd say going onto 4 or maybe 3 cyls at bad points. i know i am a newbee on this forum jumping in with questions from day one but i really would appreciate any help or thoughts before i chance buying parts i may not need (thinking some of you lads may have come across this before????) i thought of starting with coil packs, good idea??

many thanks in advance for any help or advice you can offer...cheers....mike.

Old 08-31-2008, 11:54 PM
1st Gear

From your description that it gets worse with heat, my first suspicion would be the coils. If it also misses at idle, one quick check is to unplug each coil until you find one that makes no difference, THEN swap it with one that did make it run rougher when unplugged and see if the miss follows the coil to the other cylinder. I assume you have a CEL and it's probably flashing, yes? You probably should find out which DTC's are stored. This will help narrow it down a lot. You need to find the cause soon because (especially with an ignition miss) catalyst damage/melt down is a big possibility ($$$$$$$$$$$).

Old 09-01-2008, 10:51 AM
4th Gear

I believe he has 2 coil packs, V6. Have the codes read.
If you have a misfire, replace the spark plugs and read the old ones. Spark
plug wires might be bad. If the misfiring continues, you'll
have to replace the coil packs.

Last edited by CRAZYHAWK; 09-01-2008 at 10:54 AM.