General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Newbie 1st time post with questions.

Old 10-31-2005, 09:39 PM
1st Gear
Default Newbie 1st time post with questions.

Hi everybody. I've been reading thread after thread in this forum for about 2 mos. now and finally decided to put up my own post.
I am currently deployed in Iraq and am getting ready to come home in about 3 to 4 weeks. Man I can't wait!!! I was home on leave in Aug. and picked up a 1998 a4 1.8t quattro. Man I love that car. Well I have to say that I've learned alot from reading these posts and I am looking forward to working on my car when I get back. I am doing a full tune up. Every fluid and every filter will be changed new plugs and wires, am also changing front and rear brakes, and the biggie will be doing the timing belt. She's at 79000 miles so I know I have to change it asap. I found a pretty good kit that comes with 3 eng. seals for less than ecstunings kit. It's on www.dieselgeek.com. I am getting ready to order the vagcom and the bentley manual tomorrow plus some tools from zdmak.com.
A few quick questions though. I've read that I don't really need to use the special tools for the tb. I would like some feedback on how to hold the pulleys and fan in place while removing them. Also, how easily does the camshaft/crankshaft turn when everything is disconnected? Without the proper tools this would be a problem wouldn't it? If the tools are required what are they exactly and does anyone sell a set for a good price? Am working on army pay here if you know what I mean. Well thanks for taking the time to read my post. I probably won't have another oppurtunity to post again until I get back home, so until then everyone take care of yourselves and your beautiful machines.

Old 11-01-2005, 04:40 AM
4th Gear
Default RE: Newbie 1st time post with questions.

I would deff get the special tools unless your just an auto nut or sorts. I managed to do it without the tool, but as you mentioned the cam more than likely will try and move one its own when you take the belt off, just something that i have found to happen on most of my cars. As for where to get them, I know you can rent them online somewhere but I cant remember right off the top of my head. As for the 3 seals that come in the kit, unless they are leaking, leave them alown ( assuming that they are crank front and rear, and cam seal ) and be sure you get all the tensioners and pullies with the kit cus they all need to be changed. Welcome to the forums and if you have any more questions, just shoot. Oh and thanks for serving, Its people like you that alowe me to do what I do.

Old 11-06-2005, 12:56 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Newbie 1st time post with questions.

Item: VW3036 -This is what ive always used to rotate the cam to the correct position. It comes in handy if you have to rotate the cam with the belt half on to get it the rest of the way on.

I dont recall what size the fan wrench is, but i recall that my parts guy said it was a bmw part.

A spanner wrench works good for holding the fan clutch when removing the fan.
Found vw3212. That'll hold the viscus clutch when removing the fan. Dont forget that the fans reverse thread.
Crank turns no problem with a 12 point 19mm socket.