General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Newbie general maintenance question

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 05:09 PM
1st Gear
Default Newbie general maintenance question

I just passed 60k miles on my '03 A4 3.0q. The service manager at the dealership is doing me a favor and swapping in a new throttle body for free to fix my idle problem even though I have no warranty and bought the car like 3+ months ago. I figured I'd give him my business on regular maintenance if it's worth the money, here's what the dude up front quoted me:

Vehicle Inspection: $55
Diagnostic Test: $89
Recommended Transmission flush: $160
Recommended Coolant flush: $110
Air Filter: $50 (intake, don't need)
Cabin Filter: $60 (I did this myself yesterday for $15)
"Service!" light reset: $25 (waived this fee, I would not have paid for that anyway)

I know most of this stuff is overpriced, but I'm not opposed to paying some labor costs if this is hard work and is good for my car. I bought one of these ODB2 engine scanners off ebay to reset my own lights next time, and diagnose it myself.

So I guess my question is should I pay for Trans Flush, Coolant Flush, both, or none and just do it myself? My apologies if this stuff has been answered before, thanks.

Old 10-05-2006, 09:30 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Newbie general maintenance question

I think it probably depends on your knowledge and skill level. Doing a transmission flush isn't an easy job by any means and you have to get the car up far enough to access the drain plugs for the transmission. Unless you have a pit or ramps or decent height axel stands i personally wouldn't recommend it.

As far as a coolant flush you can pretty much do this yourself without great difficulty..... you'll need a hosepipe and some replacement audi coolant. It will take about 2 hours or so if you work slowly.

Air filter is reasonably easy the only things you will have to be careful with are things like sensors on or around the air box where the air filter sits. Should take you about 20 mins or so again if you are working slowly.

As far as vehicle diagnostics, i wouldn't really say there is a great deal of a need for this unless the check engine light is on or you are noticing a distinct problem.

Having the vehicle inspected is a good idea unless you know how to check bal joints, suspension links, etc etc.

Hope this helps?

Latz

Old 10-05-2006, 03:00 PM
4th Gear

Air and cabin filters are easy to change. You could buy them
from the dealer to give them some business. The antifreeze
should be changed when you do the timing belt and water pump
at around 90K mi..
Give this to an independent mechanic and save $500.
You shouldn't have to change the transmission fluid yet.
I have 112K mi. with origonal fluid in TIP.

Old 10-07-2006, 05:09 PM
1st Gear

Nice nice both responses helped a lot.

Thanks for confirming my trans fluid prediction that a) I can't do it. and b) I don't need it!

I've heard others refer to replacing timing belt and water pump around 90k too so I'll definately remember to have that done, and probably attempt my own coolant flush after.

Again thanks, it means a lot to a newb!

Old 10-07-2006, 08:08 PM
Senior Administrator

ORIGINAL: Cranky Bastard

~ and probably attempt my own coolant flush after.
No need, rilly. part of teh T/B service involves a replacing teh water pump, which will pretty much dictate NEW coolant, at that time.