General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

newbie.. question on a purchase (chain tensioner)

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 03:18 PM
Default newbie.. question on a purchase (chain tensioner)

Hi there everyone! Newbie to the forum and to Audi's in general. I posted this is the model section but got no replies. I have a quick question for everyone. I live in Denver and found a Audi A4 1.8T for sale for 1500. Problem is, it needs a new chain tensioner. Since i am completely new to Audi's but have worked on all my cars and many others, i am not new to mechanic stuff whatsoever. That being said, was wondering if anyone things this is a good deal? Any help on the chain tensioner would be nice, where it's at, how hard to replace, etc... The car is overall in good condition, the woman just can't pay to replace it (quoted her 2000).
Thanks for any help or input.
Manuel
Sorry, it's a 1998

Old 09-18-2007, 01:21 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: newbie.. question on a purchase (chain tensioner)

More info is needed to tell if it's a good deal....

Year/Make/# Miles/Engine + Body Condition

The Cam Chain Tensioner is going to run you like $450 for the part I believe, somewhere around there. It isn't that difficult to replace if you've ever done anything remotely serious on cars before, but it's definitely tricky. You'll need a certain tool that I can't remember the name of in order to hold the tensioner down in order to get the cam chain slack enough to remove. The tool is really cheap and simple, but you must have it to get the job done.

While you're in there make sure you have a new head gasket and a gasket sealant handy for putting the valve cover back on. BTW the head gasket probably already needs to be replaced because the car is old. When you go to examine the car, take a look at the rear of the engine (behind the spark plugs/coil packs) as this is where the tensioner is. If there is oil on the back of the engine block then the gasket is definitely leaking.

One more thing...you can easily tell if the cam chain tensioner is bad by listening to the car idle while it's warm. Remove the plastic engine cover, and if you hear a loud rattle toward the rear of the engine (where the cam chain is) then the chain itself is a bit slack, causing the rattle. The tensioner will indeed have to be replaced. I also don't recommend driving the car in this condition...if the cam chain breaks your f*cked both financially, and even if you fix it the car probably won't run the same.

Good luck, call me if you have further questions I live in Denver as well.

Matt