General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Oil Filter Blowing off????

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 10:47 PM
1st Gear
Default Oil Filter Blowing off????

My girlfriend bought a 2002 A4 back in May and her low oil light came on the other day so she had the oil changed. They changed the oil and she thought all was well. The next day her car said low oil again so she drove toward the place that changed her oil...approx 8 blocks. Her car didn't make it and needless to say there was no oil left in her engine. They guy got it up on the ramps put more oil in it and said he couldn't see where it was leaking so we had it towed to the Audi dealership. They told us that you could tell the oil was coming directly from where the oil filter connects. The next day the district manager calls from the place see got her oil changed and said that they didn't tell us this but when she brought her car back in that the oil filter had blown off. How can you tell someone your car is ok to drive when you know there is a problem. Also is it even possible for a brand new oil filter to blow off the engine within 30 miles of changing the oil? Her engine is a 3.0 and I am curious if it is even possible for this to happen or if its possible for that much pressure to cause the oil filter to unscrew? Reguardless the engine is done for and the placed that changed the oil filter feels they are only 50% at fault. What do i do???