General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Oil indicator strange behavior

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 05:27 AM
Default Oil indicator strange behavior

Hi there all,

I had an interesting problem and I would like to share it with you.

Oil indicator buzzes and then stops.
Regardless of theRPMthe same buzz x 3, 2 minutes pause, buzz x 3 etc... hmmm
I stop/start the car no effect. (windows bad habbit )
I waited for the engine to cool down and I lookedto the oil gauge: normal.
I checked the oil pressure and the manometer showed2 bar at high RPM (that dropped almost instantly at 1.7 when accelerate) and 1.5 at idle RPM (engine warmed)

Problem:
my oil pump, and oil radiatorwas "suffocated" with some nasty thin old stuff that came from the old burned oil.
The nastiest that could have happend: insufficient oil pressure into the turbo causingpremature heating and faster end of life for the turbo.

Solution: all dirty partsneeded to be cleaned in sone special solution and hot water.

Whatcan you do ?
every 2 oil changes a special engine clean solution needed to be put into the engine just before changing the oil (10 minutes engine runs with the solution+old oil and than youdo the oil change)

In order to make the picture clear:
Audi A6, AEB engine, 1998 model, 100,000km
Castrol RS engine oil,
Bosch filters, 10000km regular revisions

Hope that this information will help and sorry for the bad english,

Old 02-28-2007, 02:39 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Oil indicator strange behavior

This sounds like a sludge problem.
It is caused by contaminates in the oil, creating sludge.

The way to beat sludge is....
1. Don't do a lot of short trips, & let the car & oil get up to temp.
2. change the oil regularly & use a high quality synthetic oil
3. Make sure your engine is in tune, good thermostat, good coolant temp sensor, no boost leaks.
4. Use a engine flush every other oil change.

Old 03-02-2007, 11:09 AM

Hi,

thank you for your reply.
I didn't knew about the "short trip" phenomenon, but I will try to keep that in mind.
...as for the "boost leak" I dont know how to be aware of it (any visual signs in the oil?, sounds, extra heat ?)
after the "engine toilet" there is a significant power improvement (70 mph on 2nd gear - no rev limitation) 50mph before.
the engine sound also changed (I was told that lack of oil pressure causes premature damage to the valves and to the "belaying-cleats" sry if the word is not what I tried to express - the little pieces between the camshaft and the admission/exaust valves).

Old 03-02-2007, 02:20 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: n566631
I didn't knew about the "short trip" phenomenon, but I will try to keep that in mind.
...as for the "boost leak" I dont know how to be aware of it (any visual signs in the oil?, sounds, extra heat ?)
after the "engine toilet" there is a significant power improvement (70 mph on 2nd gear - no rev limitation) 50mph before.
the engine sound also changed (I was told that lack of oil pressure causes premature damage to the valves and to the "belaying-cleats" sry if the word is not what I tried to express - the little pieces between the camshaft and the admission/exaust valves).
Yes, short trips are hard on the engine, it keeps in warm up mode, so it dumps more fuel & cuts timing. Since the oil doesn't get up to temp, the contaminates do not get a chance to burn off, so they stay suspended in the oil, creating sludge.

Boost leaks, need to be detected with a pressure tester, do a search. Basically you put compressed air into the intake system & listen for leaking air.

Sludge is a sound dampener, so it will hide engine problems, and cause oil starvation of any passageway it blocks.

Old 03-05-2007, 04:38 AM

thank you man,

unfortunately there is nothing I can do to "extend" theese short-trips (I have a 10 min trip to the office every morning), so it will be a little difficult about that... anyway, I can let the engine get warm before I start to drive.
...Say...if I take the car to a longer (at least 1 hour trip) on constant speed every week or so, this will improve the situation?