General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

oil question

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 10:15 PM
1st Gear
Default oil question

basic oil and filter and 3000 miles = cleaner oil but viscosity breakdown? synthetic oil and filter and 6000 miles = dirty oil viscosity great? 30 year veteran machanics at the shop i work at say the same thing over and over again when i ask . they all agree with no arguments between them, the motors that last are clean inside!ALL LIQUIDS!

Old 03-07-2007, 10:41 PM
Default RE: oil question

I am not sure what your asking?

Old 03-08-2007, 02:35 PM
3rd Gear

Used motor oil will always be dirty, that's what it does. If it's dirty that doesn't mean it's no longer working, or that the viscosity has broken down.

Old 03-08-2007, 03:34 PM
1st Gear

I have asked a couple Audi servicecenters and they have all said the same thing. If you have a turbo you should use synthetic. Non turbos they put in regular, but good quality traditional motor oil. Change both types at the recomendedfrequency fromthe oil manufacture. I have a 2.8 and use tradional oil changed at the 3-4k mile range with a new filter. Going to 6k or more with the synthetic puts more oil thru the filter and kind of makes me uneasy going that long between changes.

Old 03-08-2007, 08:31 PM
1st Gear

that dirt is what scatches surfaces on the bearings of that turbo.dont you see that the synthetic oil stays slipery way longer but has twice as much skratchy dirt cloging passages making the motor work harder with that dirt friction and gunk that never goes away till the motor quits. the altimate is synth oil changes every 3000 miles or what i do, change my castrol every 2000 miles. i still pay a little less shopping around, and i even skip the filter sometimes. thats why trannys anddiffs loves synth oil cause they dont get scanked up like motors do.

Old 03-08-2007, 08:52 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: gtos8xxx
that dirt is what scatches surfaces on the bearings of that turbo.dont you see that the synthetic oil stays slipery way longer but has twice as much skratchy dirt cloging passages making the motor work harder with that dirt friction and gunk that never goes away till the motor quits. the altimate is synth oil changes every 3000 miles or what i do, change my castrol every 2000 miles. i still pay a little less shopping around, and i even skip the filter sometimes. thats why trannys and diffs loves synth oil cause they dont get scanked up like motors do.
What the hell are you talking about? Yes, dirt/abrassive particles will scratch the bearing surfaces. However, you are forgetting there is a OIL FILTER! That takes the "dirt" out of the oil.
The oils job is to hold the "dirt" in suspension. It's like melting salt in water, salt is very abrasive, but put in water, and it's not anymore.

Do you know the difference between synthetic & dyno oil? I got news for you it's the same stuff. It's the quality that's different. Synth uses cracked base stock, to make all the oil molecules the same size. Dyno has a huge variance in size. Other then that, Synth oil, is still base stock Dyno oil, just a much higher quality. Of course this is a very basic explanation. There are several grades of base stock, and couple of different types.

"Slippery" Do you even know what you are talking about? No lubricant has a "slippery" rating. Viscosity is the thickness of the oil @ certain temps. The lower number is when cold, and the other number is when it's hot. Synth oil usually has a much higher detergent & additive package vs dyno, so it will keep the engine cleaner, much better then Dyno. Also Synth oil is much more stable at higher oil temp, so particles have a chance to burn off. Dyno will start to break down around 230deg, so the viscosity will change, the additives will dissipate, & it will not lubricate as well.

You change you oil & not the filter, you are a TOTAL DUMB A$$, yes, I said it. You are far better off leaving the old oil in there & changing the filter. You are just wasting oil, & money.

The only true way to know when the oil needs to be changed is to get the oil tested. You CAN NOT tell by looking at it. All cars are very different, and there are many, many factors that go into knowing when the oil needs to be changed.

You just have no clue what you are talking about. You should keep your "theories" to your self.

Old 03-09-2007, 12:20 AM
1st Gear

so you mean synth oil is just way better than basic oil right off the bat and my car is just better lubricated at larger temperatures ranges, plus i can leave it in there longer than basic oil. i was thinking that it was the same but longer lasting .

Old 03-09-2007, 01:39 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: gtos8xxx

so you mean synth oil is just way better than basic oil right off the bat and my car is just better lubricated at larger temperatures ranges, plus i can leave it in there longer than basic oil. i was thinking that it was the same but longer lasting .
Yes, it's better in every way, except for price. It last longer, due to it being higher quality base product, & better additives.