General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

outer axel boots

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 04:10 AM
1st Gear
Default outer axel boots

i have a 2002 3.0 cvt. \
my dealership said my outer axel boots need replacment befor they go bad. I only have 30k miles on my car. They told me this when i took it in for my 30 thousand mile check up. I dont think they are ripped or broken yet.

my extended warranty covers CV JOINTS as long as the boots are not torn during failure.

is this the same thing as my outer axel boots?

they want 500 bucks to replace the 2 outer boots.

what is the difference between the axel boots and CV JOINTS.

thanks.

p.s anyone know a local socal shop or oc shop that will do this... thanks

Old 10-13-2006, 04:13 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: outer axel boots

The CV joints are contained in the CV/axel boots. I don't know why they would seize without some sort of outside contamination (ei tear or ripped boot). Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 10-13-2006, 04:30 AM
1st Gear

im pretty sure the CV JOINTS are fine. it is the outer axle boots that they want me to fixed.

the only issue is that my extended warranty only covers CV joints and says nothing about the boots since it is listed component coverage

If I make a clain on the joints. do new joints from audi come with new boots on them as well or is that a seperate part number

Old 10-13-2006, 08:40 AM
Default RE: outer Axel boots

this sounds like one of those Audi scams, check the C/V boots for any contamination of grease on the out side of the rubber if there is none then they are pulling a fast one on the other hand the boots could be starting to crack in the valleys of the rubber and if so its a case of prevention of something that will go eventually, 500$ is a high price to change C/V boots

[IMG]local://upfiles/12092/F86FF03E686D4825B8347B4F137046ED.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-14-2006, 12:28 AM
3rd Gear

The cv joint kit comes with new boots. The reason the boots are not covered is because they are considered a wear and tear item that needs to be replaced every so often. On all cars not just audis. The reason they cover the joint only if the boot isnt failed is because it pretty much never happens. If you try to "pull a fast one", they will probably send an adjuster out to look at the car before they ok the work.

Old 10-14-2006, 05:25 PM
1st Gear

thanks for the info dankhound. So if I try to claim that I need a new CV JOINT KIT which comes with the boots. The car warranty people might send an inspector out huh? Wow. I never have used this warranty yet or make a claim on it. If anyone else he has, whould you mind giving me some insight on how the whole process goes down.

thanks in advance

Old 10-16-2006, 12:41 PM

You could replace both CV drive axles yourself. Pretty easy is your have a lift and the right tools. Should take about 45 minutes per side. ...if you need to change then at all. [8D]

Old 11-02-2006, 08:55 PM

they want 500 bucks to replace the 2 outer boots.

That price sounds pretty high - just had my boots replaced on my A6 for $330.00 at an Audi Dealership. Can you get a quote from another dealership maybe?

Old 12-15-2006, 10:43 PM

Just was told the same thing for my 2001 A6 during 50k mile service.
Extended warranty won't cover it, andthe inspector was mentioned too.

estimate on your cv boots
bootkits=$52.64 each x 2= 105.28[/align]labor=$433.88[/align]total= 550.00[/align]this is not including taxes and misc.itiems[/align][/align]No other Audi dealership in a 2 hour radius to get another quote ... and I had a bad experience having a timing belt changed by a non-Audi "mechanic" - (cost me the engine of my previous A4).[/align]
[/align]
[/align][/align][/align][/align]

Old 06-24-2008, 04:22 PM

Hello,

What tools would you need to do this? I needed a TORX wrench to get the brakes off. What do i need to get at the axle to replace a worn boot?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: outer axel boots