General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Major RPM Problems on A3 ...HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 03:36 PM
Default Major RPM Problems on A3 ...HELP!!!

Hi i have recently bought a audi A3W Reg (2000) and absolutely love the car
I have spent all my hard earned cash over the years to buy one and its the best cat ive driven but I have MAJOR problem would really like to know ifanyone has had the same prob on a3's and what to chage or do to fix the problem, i really dread driving the car

When you start the car the RPM's are at 900 .....................everything kool but the cars rev meteris very very slightly going to 880 or so revs(you know what i mean)doing a very very small dance .....................................

When yourev the car or try to drive it in 1st gear(i.e rev to about 1500 - 2000 revsand ease off the gas or let it go it goes to 900 revs then continues going down) .....It revs up and 200 to 900 revs violently for about 30 secondsnearly stalling everytime then correcting itself etc etc.....

after that the engine will stablise at 900 revs again ........................................ my mechanic told me to service the car and it should go away - i serviced the car today with oil, oil filter, air filter, spark plugs oil treatment(but the mechainc couldnt get the fuel filter off and said will do it next week) but everything else was done

I had my fingers crosssed when he started it after the service and all appeared well then i got in and the second i reved it to 100 revs it did all of the above but the revs were spiralling so down theat it kept stalling - this continued for the first hour stationaryor driving it would die on me in 1st gear .....when picking up speed in 2nd or 3rd or 4th its fine, but the second you ease off the gas it almost stalls.........................but the dancing revs are now worse then they were before the service

the mechinic suggested some redex diesel petol injector in the tank, i filled up with petroland did this but problem still their

I in my frustration went to another mechanic who said its a common problem on these its the idle value sensor or somet to that effect but he is only 90 percent sure not 100 % ............please advise???? i dont want to keep changing different bits and spending loads of money on things that might have nothing to fo with it, someone suggested cleaning the throttle body

any help would be much appreaciated

Old 09-26-2007, 01:24 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Major RPM Problems on A3 ...HELP!!!

Had a similar problem like this on one of my Audi's......it was the idle control module. It got worse and worse to the point where it would cut off if you didnt push the gas. It sounds like that is the problem. Easy part to change on some older audis but on a lot of the newer ones the module has to be programmed by the dealer. An hour diagnostic at the dealership could tell you what it is for sure, but if i had to guess, i would say its the idle control.