General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Phantom Black paint on 2009 A6 turning "Green" after removing road tar - help

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 10:01 AM
1st Gear
Question Phantom Black paint on 2009 A6 turning "Green" after removing road tar - help

Hello - I have a 2009 Audi A6 with Phantom Black Pearl paint. I must have run over some fresh blacktop or road tar and it splashed all up and down the entire drivers side straight to the back. By time I was able to tackle removing it, maybe a day, it hardened. It came off "relatively easy" with no scratching I guess because it was on a waxed surface. However, when removed, the paint area that was covered or streaked with the tar like substance in now a very noticeable dark shade of green. I thought at first the substance ate right through to the primer(?), but the surface it still as smooth as the rest of the paint with no indication any layers were removed. It's just Green! Any ideas what this is, what caused this and if there is any remedy. Is it just the clear coat that is discolored, etc. I tried a very light polish and some carnauba wax, but it just brings out more of the green color. Has anyone seen this before. Many thanks to all in advance for your thoughts and experience.
Best Regards.

Old 05-05-2011, 02:07 PM
Banned

oh damn. soory to hear. i'd take it to a good detailing shop and ask them for their opinion.

Old 05-21-2011, 04:10 PM
1st Gear

What did you use to remove it? The only relative experience I can give you that has happened to me recently is when I tried using the Duplicolor Shadow Black Chrome kit on my 17" A4 alloy wheels and when I put the final layer on it had turned dark green instead of black... I notified Duplicolor and sent pictures, they said it was because of the paint used to coat the wheels Maybe it has something to do with the clear coat that Audi uses? I also used a Bug and Tar remover by Rust-oleum. Maybe there's some kind of chemical reaction.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:19 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for your response. I really didn't use anything other than a wet microfiber cloth. It was the consistency of thick hard baked on dry mud. I just kinda picked at it and very carefully peeled it off a little at a time. It certainly seems like whatever tar like substance they were using on the road had an immediate chemical reaction with the clear coat. After my last post, I did try a polish and light scratch remover on one of the lower smaller areas thinking maybe it just discolored the very top surface of the clear coat, but to no avail. Just bizarre because I've gotten tar pretty much on every car I've ever had with no issues like this. I still look at it in disbelief.