General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Picked up '99 A4 1.8tq, here's a handful of random questions for ya!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 04:09 PM
1st Gear
Default Picked up '99 A4 1.8tq, here's a handful of random questions for ya!

Hey guys, like it says I just picked up my '99 A4 1.8t Quattro and I LOVE IT so far. I'm not new to the turbo+AWD at all, I've had three Eclipses before this and put every dime I had into those cars! Anyway, before I start throwing some mods at this thing I want to keep up with all the maintenance first. The car has 93k miles and is an automatic. The t-belt was supposedly replaced around 75k but there's no receipts so I don't want to take any chances. Where do I find which engine code I have? The only problem with the car that I notice is the front upper control arms creaking so I'll just be replacing those. As far as a 100k mile maintenance tune-up goes, what else should I look into replacing? Which oil do you guys prefer to use in summer vs. winter? Should I go with stock oil filters? Do the coil-on plugs ever need replacing? What kind of gear oil do you use for the front/rear gearboxes (also how many qts)? Anything else you guys can think of I would really appreciate, thank you!

Here's the Audi by the way, 100% stock so it's nothing special but I'm still proud
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...cture010-1.jpg
(not sure if HTML works on this forum)

Old 08-06-2006, 04:47 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Picked up '99 A4 1.8tq, here's a handful of random questions for ya!

The engine code is found on the head. It is on a loop that is used to secure/remove the engine. For 99 im pretty sure you have an aeb. As for the 100k i would suggest plugs as you dont know when they were last replaced. Check the air and pollen filters to see if they are very dirty and need to be replaced. The coil only need to be replaced when they are bad which is when they casue a misfire. Just use 0w30 synthetic yearround. Brand really doesnt matter. Stock oil filter is fine just make sure you get the large "b" filter. There is a smaller one used on the laterally mounted 1.8's that fits and will work but is different than the specifyed filter for your vheicle. Not sure what oil the trans uses but it will be an audi specific oil. WOuldnt worry about the diff fluid unless its low.

Old 08-06-2006, 03:53 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Picked up '99 A4 1.8tq, here's a handful of random questions for ya!

What plugs are preferred? I'm not going to increase boost anytime soon so I won't need any colder ones, just for stock. Are there any good sources for an engine overhaul on these cars? For DSMs we had soo many different ones to choose from.. guess I could also just pick up a Chiltons/Haynes. I appreciate the input!

Old 08-06-2006, 04:04 PM

stock plugs NGK BUKRSET-10 gap 0.9 mm or BOSCH F7LTCR gap 1.0 mm,
unsure about the timing belt then change it

Old 08-07-2006, 03:37 AM
1st Gear

Thanks!

Anything else I should look into? Anything notorious for breaking?

Old 08-09-2006, 12:26 PM
5th Gear

Well your control arm issue will spread to your lower arms as well... so check out places like www.ecstuning.com and ebay and consider buying an entire kit. It'll be cheaper in the long run, for sure.
Recommended oil is actually 5w40 synthetic (I believe dealers use Castrol Syntec), all year round.
Timing belts are notorious for breaking at the 60-70K mark (or if the belt doesn't break, the tensioner fails). If yours has not been replaced, it should definately top your list of work.
The automatics are not good... they can't hold much more than 275 lbs of torque, so if you had any big plans for this car, I'd consider either selling it for a 5 spd, or check out upgrades from Level 10. With your trans stock, I'd either just chip it and be done with it, or, go no bigger than the vag K04 turbo.

EDIT: and don't get a haynes or chilton, pick up a manual from Bentley.

Congrats on the car dude.

Old 08-09-2006, 10:15 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: headshok2002

Well your control arm issue will spread to your lower arms as well... so check out places like www.ecstuning.com and ebay and consider buying an entire kit. It'll be cheaper in the long run, for sure.
Any chance it could simply be the bushings? We're talking about a $75 fix vs. $600 fix.

Old 08-11-2006, 01:31 AM
1st Gear

I'm too lazy to look right now.. are the stock bushings sealed or are they greasable?

Old 08-12-2006, 01:12 PM
1st Gear

So nobody's ever simply replaced the bushings?

Old 08-12-2006, 01:19 PM
3rd Gear

i would do the whole kit. I replaced the rods and covers on mine only and ignored the control arms till one snapped on the highway and almost bit the dust. Do the whole kit. You will not regret it. I got my whole thing done at audi for 1500. I hate suspension parts!

Quick Reply: Picked up '99 A4 1.8tq, here's a handful of random questions for ya!