General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

please help

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 01:38 AM
Default please help

Hey all - I just joined your forums and did some lookin around - have a question and need some good help. Im a mechanic and have a 2000 Audi A4 Quattro 1.8T in the shop. The car threw a p1137 code and so I put in a new O2 sensor. Code went away for about 3 days and came back. I checked the 02 sensors and they are fine. Checked vacuum lines and saw/heard no leaks. I have a snap-on scan tool in the shop and when monitoring the engine saw that the short term fuel trim bank 1 read within specs, but the long term fuel trim bank 1 read a constant 16.4%. I disconnected the vacuum line from the Fuel Pressure Regulator and only the short term fuel trim changed. I know the code stands for Long Term Fuel Trim Add. Bank 1 System too Rich - I know what it means and that its only at idle, but anyone have experience with this code? I have searched online and found things from o2 sensors to MAF's should be replaced, but this is a customer car and I can't just keep buying parts that aren't broken. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I used the search function here and nothing turned up, and did some brief looking around so I hope I didn't get under anyones skin by just asking away. In my other car forum new guys get jumped on for that...

PS - some of the cars on this forum are absolutely incredible. Wow.

TJ

Old 06-08-2006, 07:14 AM
Default RE: please help

P1137 = long term fuel trim, idling, bank 1, system too rich.

possible causes are fuel pressure, injector(s), EVAP canister purge valve which would be my first thought of attack

Old 06-08-2006, 01:21 PM
4th Gear
Old 06-08-2006, 11:58 PM

Hey guys thanks for the fast and helpful info - I called Audi today to price the EVAP purge valve and when I mentioned, parts said it was a common problem. Thought it was that at first, but did the 02 sensors anyway. Going to try it tomorrow and will let you know how it goes. Thanks again!

TJ

Old 06-24-2006, 04:32 PM

That solved it! Sorry for the late response, been working like mad lately. Thanks for the fast help - will be sure to recommend this forum to any Audi enthusiasts I run into!

TJ

Old 10-21-2006, 10:53 PM
1st Gear

I'm having the same problem. I already replaced the O2 sensor (downstream) and after 40 miles it popped up again. I have that P1137 code. The mechanic said it's Bank 1, mixture adaptation system too rich. Did you fix it by getting the EVAP, and if so, is it hard to DIY? Thanks