AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/general-tech-50/)
-   -   Please HELP !!! ENGINE MISFIRING (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/general-tech-50/please-help-engine-misfiring-22006/)

twinblowersonice 12-27-2005 07:40 PM

Please HELP !!! ENGINE MISFIRING

I got my turbo A6 couple of weeks ago and the check engine lights was on. I checked it out on OBD and it was a "random cylinder misfire". I reset the code and my mech supported my theory of "if it aint broke don't fix it". B U T !!! The light came back on !!! So now I wanna fix this problem. PLEASE help me : what could this be? AND Where should I get the parts?

THANX FOR ALL YOUR HELP,

BaconBait 12-27-2005 07:46 PM

RE: Please HELP !!! ENGINE MISFIRING

Do you have the fault code? There's a couple guys running around here that can pinpoint the problem.

twinblowersonice 12-28-2005 01:53 AM

I don't have the code, but I will post i in two days - my guy's on vacation :( Also, I noticed that the engine compartment smells of burning oil when I drive fast and when I start the car up... Could it be a coil?

crashnburn 06-21-2006 07:05 PM

Yes, or your running to rich on startup causing blowby !

Crashnburn

techbod 06-21-2006 07:09 PM

fault code please, the oil smell is probably a leak from the cam cover onto the exhaust manifold

techbod 06-21-2006 07:12 PM

ps it could be the reason for the fault (oil build up round the spark plug causing it to short out) a common fault associated with rocker/cam cover fail

dankhound 06-25-2006 01:54 PM

When does it misfire? If its at cold start theres a bullitin about that. You replace the injectors and the thermostat.

twinblowersonice 06-26-2006 09:45 AM

I can't feel the engine misfiring. The only reason I think that's the case is because when I hooked it up to the OBD, it told me "random cylinder misfire" as the reason for the check engine light coming on.
Coincidentally, I've been told that it may be as simple as the the module that regulates the air/fuel mixture being bad. I am planning on running some in-depth diagnostics on the car soon, so I will know it all in great detail soon as that happens.

twinblowersonice 06-26-2006 09:52 AM

one thing I've figured out for myself for a fact is that most mechanics have no clue what to do when it comes to these cars. Luckily, I have a friend who happens to be a used car dealer and a former mechanic himself - if not for him, I would have spent at least a 1000 bucks on this unnecessarily by now. In the meantime, the car is running just fine and the only indicator of any problems lurking on the horizon is the fact that I will probably have to replace the timing belt soon - just because of the mileage and my unwillingness to buy a new motor :-)) I also get occasional burnt oil smell from under the hood and the check engine light is on - other than that, B E A UTIFUL :-))

dankhound 06-29-2006 11:04 PM

Since the car isnt constantly misfiring we can probably rule out injectors, coil, plugs, and ignition module. One posiblility is that carbon buildup is causing the ocasional misfire on a random cyclinder, another is as you stated a faulty ecm. Also dont overlook a failure somewhere with the engine speed sensor and the flywheel. Never seen something like that but keep in mind the ecm uses the acceleration and decelleration it reciveves from the engine speed sensor to decide wheter the engine is misfiring or not.