General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Possible AC/Fan/water discharge problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 04:26 PM
1st Gear
Default Possible AC/Fan/water discharge problem

Hi! I've just got my first Audi (and a beuaty it is) 1998 uk A4 1.9 TDi SE - the smoothest drive I've ever had, but I've got a problem that I want to ask you about before I spend money with Audi - the AC has worked maybe once or twice (for a short period) over the last few weeks since I bought it, which I can probably live with, living in the freezing UK. What I can't live with is the water that is discharged from the (I assume) AC outlets under the driver side seat (the passenger side outlets are unaffected) - it seems to be spewing water out from these pipes at random points into the footwell behind the drivers seat, soaking the carpet. First things first: are these two things connected? And if they are, what's the best method of resolving them?

Thanks all

Old 08-01-2006, 04:34 PM
Default RE: Possible AC/Fan/water discharge problem

Hi
Are you sure its AC water. I had the same problem on my A4 TDi SE and it was the drain of hole under the battery. Does it happen when it rains or all the time, sorry to ask a stupid question.

Old 08-01-2006, 04:39 PM
1st Gear

Hi - no, I'm not sure at all - in answer to your question, today is the first day of rain since I've had it and it seems to be worse, so that's a possible - surely the drain doesn't route through to the footwell, though? Is it something reasonably easy I can check? [edit] just had a quick look; it appears that underneath the battery and all along the bottom of that compartment there is water pooling, so you may be onto something - is there a drain, or similar, that needs unblocking? I couldn't see anthing obvious....

Old 08-01-2006, 05:50 PM

the main drains are below the scuttle panel where your wipers sit below the windshield, leaves build up and dust so when it rains the water comes through the heater fan vents and very common if you park under trees

edit: its nothing to do with the A/C

Old 08-01-2006, 06:13 PM
1st Gear

Hi Dave - I just hoped one may be to do with the other

Just had a quick look around - there's water pooled about 1cm deep in that compartment - I found a hole that was clogged, about 4mm diameter, between two hoses below the wipers. When that was unclogged the water started (slowly) draining to the floor. I assume this wasn't one of the *main* drains, what with it being so small, so I'll wrestle the battery out and have a proper look around in the morning. I'll let you know what happens, but it seems logical that that's the problem with the water discharge. I'm sure it can't be good for the AC/cooling to have water drawn in through its vents in any great amounts, so I'll see if that affects the AC problem. Anyway, thanks to you both for your help

[edit] both the drains (under the battery and behind the fan) were clogged with silt. After a good poke around they're both now clear - I've not driven it since yesterday and it rained last night and the footwell was wet, so that's certainly the problem. Fixed! Thanks again for all your help!
n/