General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Power Window Failure Have Me Stumped

Old 07-02-2006, 04:15 AM
1st Gear
Default Power Window Failure Have Me Stumped

I've got a '96 Cabriolet with some power window problems that really have me scratching my head.

The problem: The driver's window will not go down.

All total there are three "sets" of controls for the four power windows. The driver's door has a separate switch for each of the four individual windows. The passanger's door has a single switch for its window. The center console has a single switch that controls all four windows at once.

When the center console switch is used, the driver's window will not move, but the other three windows will go up or down fine.

None of the four switches on the driver's door will operate at all. (None of the switches light up anymore.)

The switch on the passenger's window will not work either.

After some poking around, I found I'm only measuring around 3 volts (instead of the expected 12) at each of the four driver's door switches. I'm suspecting a relay or wiring problem, but can't seem to narrow it down.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Old 07-04-2006, 01:59 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Power Window Failure Have Me Stumped

Check the fuse to make sure it isnt partialy burned. Also check to make sure wires in the doors arent broken. Without a wiring diagram, electrical problems are tough to narrow down. If the older cabs are like the newer cars you may have a power supply issure froom the central locking control module.

Old 07-13-2006, 02:12 PM
1st Gear

I had that happen to my 99 A4. It turns out it was the fuse, the fuse is behind the glove box (why, I have no clue)..

Old 07-13-2006, 04:26 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the replies.

I've checked every fuse I have found to no avail. I have not verified the wiring is all good yet, as there are so many, many wires under the dash which lay on top of where the harness comes in from the door.

I also checked behind the glove box for either a fuse or a power window control module, but no luck there. The only thing behind the glove box is the blower fan and the passenger's side airbag module.

Without a wiring diagram, I may as well give up.

Old 07-13-2006, 04:28 PM

can you hear if the switches make a sound when you press them a sort of click??

Old 07-13-2006, 05:02 PM
1st Gear

Of course the window switches themselves make a "click", but there is no realy clicking when the door switches are used. The relay only clicks when the central window switch is used, and then 3 of the 4 windows do go down.

Old 07-13-2006, 05:09 PM

a click not as in the click of the switch but a clicking of the motor, try switching the switches around

Old 07-13-2006, 09:58 PM
1st Gear

I've got the door panel off - the motor is not making any sound at all. I haven't tried moving the switches, but I have measured each with a meter and they are all functioning properly.

I'm sure the motor isn't working because of the low voltage, but finding the cause of the low voltage is what has me stumped.

Old 08-01-2006, 07:02 PM
1st Gear

Finally figured it out!

In the fuse/relay panel under the dash there was a device that looks like a very large relay which I suppose is actually the power window control module. When I pried the plastic cover off, I found it had two small circuit boards inside of it. When I examined these circuit boards, I found a solder joint that had broken. After touching up the joint with a soldering iron, the windows now all work correctly.

Gotta love a fix that doesn't cost anything! (Except about 18 hours of my time, of course)