General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Power windows open randomly

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 02:37 PM
Default Power windows open randomly

I woke up this morning and all 4 windows on my daughter's 2000 A6 were down. They were all up when she locked it last night. At some point in the night they randomly opened. And of course there was a driving rain all night. What could have caused this?

Old 02-19-2008, 10:39 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Power windows open randomly

her getting home drunk and leaving them down, then just saying they were up... sorry, we were all thinking it, and you knew it was coming..

but on a helpful note... do the windows all still function properly now? are they coded to roll down when a specific action is taken, maybe she hit lock, but the key in her purse or pocket was pushing and holding unlock.. perhaps that triggers them to roll down. play with the key fab and see if you can get it to happen. try holding differnt buttons and seeing if maybe its coded to roll them down if a certain button is pushed for a few seconds.. things like that would be your best start

good luck

Old 02-19-2008, 10:46 PM

The first answer might have been an option, but I switched cars with her for the day today and at some point all the windows came partially down while it was parked in my yard, and I was sober as a judge!!!

They still function properly. I'll try messing with the keys.

Thanks

Old 02-20-2008, 08:48 PM
1st Gear

if the windows still function properly, and you cant get the keys to do it. you probably have a short somewhere. unfortunately thats a time taker. you really will have to be there and see it happen, and take note of what was going on at the time.