General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Problem With Rear Door & Window

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 07:16 AM
1st Gear
Default Problem With Rear Door & Window

Hi all,
I have an A4 Avant 2.0 tdi s-line on an 08 plate.
The rear near side door won't open from the inside and the electric window won't work.
Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what the cause of the problem might be?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by lord_of_lostock; 02-28-2013 at 08:40 AM.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:52 AM
1st Gear

lostock, Can't help but I do wish you luck. I'm about to see if I can get my rear drivers side door panel off. Guess you may be doing the same. Having an intermittent locking issue that is getting worse. Sounds like you could have both mechanical & electrical issues or maybe just one common problem.

Old 02-28-2013, 02:21 PM
1st Gear

Ok window working. But the door handle feels as though there is no tension in it. Any ideas anyone?

Old 02-28-2013, 05:31 PM
1st Gear

What have you done so far? Have you checked, er fiddled with the child safety latch selector? Can you hear the locking mechanism lock and/or unlock? Do you have a manual lock on the door? Mine does but like the child safety thing it is on the door edge, not the arm rest or at the window. Meaning the door has to be open to change the safety thing or manually lock the door.

I'm still looking at how to get the door panel off to inspect the locking mechanism to troubleshoot my remote locking issue. The manual I have is on CD, I do miss an actual book so you can mark pages and flip back & forth the needed pages. I see the picture is on the screen but the corresponding description of most of the items are a “page down” away. That gripe could be a whole other thread!

Old 02-28-2013, 06:24 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by mattymo
What have you done so far? Have you checked, er fiddled with the child safety latch selector? Can you hear the locking mechanism lock and/or unlock? Do you have a manual lock on the door? Mine does but like the child safety thing it is on the door edge, not the arm rest or at the window. Meaning the door has to be open to change the safety thing or manually lock the door.

I'm still looking at how to get the door panel off to inspect the locking mechanism to troubleshoot my remote locking issue. The manual I have is on CD, I do miss an actual book so you can mark pages and flip back & forth the needed pages. I see the picture is on the screen but the corresponding description of most of the items are a “page down” away. That gripe could be a whole other thread!
I know what you mean about electronic manuals. Technology, hey!
Anyway, when you pull the door lever it's like it's not attached to anything. Cable snapped maybe. Do they even have cables in the door these days

Old 02-28-2013, 08:51 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by lord_of_lostock
Anyway, when you pull the door lever it's like it's not attached to anything. Cable snapped maybe. Do they even have cables in the door these days
You say it will open from the outside but not the inside? I would think that takes you back to the child safety switch is selected (or stuck) or the inside lever is no longer connected to the door latch mechanism. You may need to remove the door panel for more troubleshooting. That's where I'm at on mine.

Old 03-28-2013, 02:59 PM
1st Gear

i dont know if you figured out your inside door handle problem and I know its an old thread, but I had a similar problem. Turns out the door latch was the culprit. Where the cable from the inside handle went to the latch was the problem. The spring in the latch was rusty and not allowing the cable to return. So the door only opened from the outside.