General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

to pumpkinshine on power loss

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 06:06 AM
Default to pumpkinshine on power loss

I tried to PM you but it seems you have this facility turned off.

Question if you dont mind ive got a question on my 97 1.8t a4 automatic.
So heres my problem. Awhile back ago my flex pipe burnt off. then a couple of weeks later i noticed this HUGE loss of power. i looked under the hood and noticed that the exhaust piping connescted to the cat was kinda disconnected. maybe a1/4 mm big of a gap between the piping and cat. I believe the loss of power is due to no back pressure but, the thing is that whenever im at WOT(wide open throttle) and get closeto redline (which takes 5 years to get to)it doesnt want to shift until i let off the gas. more so at the higher gears. not so much during 1st to 2nd shift. Ive got no codes. MAF seems to be working correctly 3.8 g/m sec @ idle. cant remember what my o2's were reading. but i dont think they were an issue. if you could help at all i would greatly appreciate your help.

thanks
thien

Answer = the cat breaking there is a result of weak engine mounts or brackets missing from the exhaust hence the excess movement of the engine on pull away or you hit a pot hole,
as for the power its an automatic so controlled by a transmission ECU so you might be able to have it flashed with newer software,
there are many performance upgrades like exhaust/bigger cc injectors/high flow cat/4 bar FPR/fuel pump and filter