General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Rear light issue - Audi 2008 A4 quattro

Old 01-21-2018, 04:41 PM
1st Gear
Default Rear light issue - Audi 2008 A4 quattro

Yesterday the dash was showing an error communicating the rear passenger side brake light was out. Which it was. I went to the store, purchased a 5001 series light bulb and replaced the bulb. I tested the brake light before reassembling the fixure to ensure everything worked. Which it did. A few hours later I got in the car to drive somewhere and got the same error message on the dash (right rear brake light out). After inspecting the light it seemed that the night runners (not sure if that's the official name. Basically the light that turns on when all the lights are on at night) was not turning on but it would turn on (same light) when I pressed the brake. I looked online at various postings to see if people had suggestions. I resorted to blowing some air into the connector and polishing off the connectors with sand paper. I put everything back together and poof everything worked. Wonderful. Until I turned the car on, pressed the brake, put the car into drive then a similar error message came up. This time for the blinker (same rear passenger side). It's strange, I turn the right blinker on, both lights work (both lights on the right rear light fixture), but they blink at different cadences. So currently I have an error on my dash that shows when I put the car into drive and right rear blinkers that both illuminate but blink at different rates.

​​​​​​Any help guidance would be appreciated.

Thank you.