General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Reccommended Oil

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 02:08 PM
1st Gear
Default Reccommended Oil

I just purchased a 2002 A6 Quattro and don't have an owners manual. I want to get teh oil changed and don't know what I can use or what is reccomended?

Old 03-14-2011, 11:06 PM
Administrator

What engine do you have?

Old 03-15-2011, 11:03 PM
1st Gear

Lets break this down into easy to understand terms. Oil is separated into two categories, viscosity and molecular consistency. The first has to do with the 5w30 you typically see on a quart bottle of oil. The 5 stands for how viscous the oil will be in extreme cold, and the 30 indicates how viscous it will be under extreme heat. Next is molecular consistency. Conventional oils are made by refining crude oil until it is fit to be used in a car. Synthetic oils on the other hand are created by a chemical reaction. It is "synthesized" and thus is uniform in shape and density. This offers the best level of protection during start up because synthetic coats the engines components better than a convention oil does. To answer your question, the best protection you can offer your car is a 0w40 or a 5w30 weighted oil specially designed for high mileage vehicles. Hope that helps!! Valvoline Instant Oil Change - Somewhere in NY.