AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/general-tech-50/)
-   -   Red oil pressure warning light and beeping (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/general-tech-50/red-oil-pressure-warning-light-beeping-187673/)

MagsA3 09-26-2012 02:13 AM

Red oil pressure warning light and beeping

So i just filled my car up with new fresh oil. It ran like a beauty for a day. Now on my way to work the red display light started beeping and flashing bright red.

I also noticed when i refilled it with oil it was completely dry, but it still won't make sence to me that it took 7l of oil. (5W-40)

So when I was driving today, I didn't get any pressure on my turbo, so I stopped for a second, started the engine again, and went off. I still didn't get any pressure on my turbo, so my gauge was stuck at around 0 when accelerating.

Not long after that the red display light of oil pressure came on. Now I really need some help.

I don't know if it's the Oil pump, the sensor, or anything else, I do have a WAGCom so I will try to get that working(software didn't work last time on my computer, so trying another laptop).
But if anyone have some usefull tips on what it might be and some insight on how my car took in 7l of oil without leaking it on the ground, it would be greatly appriciated.

Car:

Audi A3, 1,8l Turbo, 2001 mod.

z28pete 09-26-2012 03:37 PM

Pretty straight forward. The lamp tells you the oil pressure is bad: could be very low or no oil, bad oil pump, bad oil pressure switch/sensor, or worn out bearings. I supect the turbo may have seized due to lack of lubricant. Did you check the oil level when the lamp came on? Get a machanical pressure gauge and verify the oil pressure, The VAG com only tells you what the sensors are saying, and that could be wrong.

MagsA3 09-27-2012 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by z28pete (Post 1405223)
Pretty straight forward. The lamp tells you the oil pressure is bad: could be very low or no oil, bad oil pump, bad oil pressure switch/sensor, or worn out bearings. I supect the turbo may have seized due to lack of lubricant. Did you check the oil level when the lamp came on? Get a machanical pressure gauge and verify the oil pressure, The VAG com only tells you what the sensors are saying, and that could be wrong.

Ive started on changing the oil pump as the lack of oil was defenetly not there, since I just filled it up with 7 liters of oil.

Haven't completed the change yet but when I opened it up, the Oil was completely black so im also changing the filter and one more thing there.

I would have completed it today but I'm still in the process of learning new things so starting on removing something without the knowledge of doing it I decided to finish for the day and start refreshed when the weekend comes.

AlyAudi03 09-28-2012 12:08 AM

When the whole oil sludge thing came about for the a4 1.8t , they said if the oil pressure light comes on and starts blinking to pull over your car immediately and have it towed to the nearest dealership to prevent damage. They also said if this happens to have it checked for oil sludge. Not sure if this qualifies for A3's though. What kind of oil are you using?

MagsA3 09-28-2012 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by AlyAudi03 (Post 1405434)
When the whole oil sludge thing came about for the a4 1.8t , they said if the oil pressure light comes on and starts blinking to pull over your car immediately and have it towed to the nearest dealership to prevent damage. They also said if this happens to have it checked for oil sludge. Not sure if this qualifies for A3's though. What kind of oil are you using?

I was using as far as I know fullly syntethic 5W-40 oil. But the fact that when I emptied it yesterday it was all black i would not be supprised if it is some sludge in there, but I am changing the pump and filter and so on and cleaning both the oil tray/pan (whatever the english name is :) ) When I get it off.

But I got some advice from one of my co workers that when I made the change, I should run on some Castrol racing oil (really thin) for a day of two then changing the filter again just to rinse things out on the inside aswell.

AlyAudi03 09-28-2012 05:50 PM

Sounds like a plan! Let us know how it goes, I am interested to hear if it fixes the problem. Good luck!

z28pete 09-28-2012 10:13 PM

The main reason for sludge is following the insane oil change interval touted by the factory.

MagsA3 09-29-2012 01:41 PM

I fixed it, changed the oil pump and filter and the oil inntake. No more oil pressure problems, but I got a new problem. the exhaust is white so im consuming oil like a boat or something, or a ferry...
But I think I just need to change some valve gaskets or something.

Thanks for the usefull info. :)

z28pete 09-29-2012 02:50 PM

Usually the white smoke is an indication of coolant getting into the combustion chamber or a bad turbo. You may have killed the turbo when you ran the car with no oil pressure.

AlyAudi03 09-29-2012 07:34 PM

@Pete, didn't know that. It was understood by me that it was because they failed to specify the exact type of oil/fluid that was allowed in our vehicles. I'll have to go back and check my paperwork to find out. I could be wrong, but I believe they sent a "list" of items that had to be replaced with the exact fluid. Such as fully synthetic oil, and the grades, the coolant and power steering. High mineral intake from putting the wrong type of water into your coolant mixture can cause a massive buildup of minerals. Our cars don't like minerals. They didn't release that information in their owner manual, and I thought that was why they got sued?