General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Replaced Power Steering Hose, Bled Fluid and Now There's a Whine

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 02:07 AM
Default Replaced Power Steering Hose, Bled Fluid and Now There's a Whine

I can't quite understand it. Before there was a leak in the power steering supply line, but there was no noise, except for when it would get low. I would top it off, which always did the trick and took the noise away. I did however make the mistake by filling the fluid with normal fluid from O'Reillys. This went on for several hundred, perhaps thousands of miles without any problems.

Well I finally got around to replacing the line tonight and thought it would be a good idea to replace all the fluid as well. After it was all said and done, there is a whine at full reservoir. Here are the steps I took and perhaps someone could identify what went wrong.

- Took the hose off and let the fluid drain for a while.

- Tried to pull the filter out of the reservoir to clean, only to realize it wasn't a filter, but a screen. Tried to put it back into place.

- Attached a hose to the cooler line and placed it into an empty container, plugged the supply side of the res, filled the res with 11s and with the wheels in the air I turned the steering wheel back and forth a few times. This pumped the new fluid from the res and our with the old through the hose. I repeated this a couple times and kept filling the reservoir.

- Once it was apparent that it was only clear green 11s coming out of the hose, I attached the new hose and tightened things up with really good screw clamps. Then I filled the reservoir with 11s and turned the steering wheel back and forth many many times, with the cap off. Air just continued to come up. I continued to top it off as needed.

- With the wheels still up and the cap still off, I turned on the car and when I started turning the steering wheel that screen popped up and it began to become very very frothy and bubbly. I cant figure out if that screen will stay down when the cap is on, but it could be creating the problem.

- I let the fluid settle and then did the same with the engine on, this time holding the screen down and it seemed to flow without becoming frothy. However, when I turned the steering wheel 10 times, as is recommended by some of the write-ups, it had a whine.

- Turned the engine off and turned the steering wheel back and forth and this time I did not see any air come up. Put the cap back on and lowered the car to turn the steering wheel with the tires on the ground. Still a bit of a whine, but not too too loud. Its just that it wasn't there before...

I think a couple things may have happened but I really have no idea.
1. I may have turned the engine on too quickly without properly bleeding the system and it pulled air through and damaged the pump.

2. That screen is still popping up a touch and making it slightly bubbly, which is pulling some air through and that is what is causing the noise.

3. Is it because I used the bad fluid before?

Im a bit confused.

4. I also read in some directions that it takes 10 to 12 miles of driving before all the air disappears, but Im nervous to drive the car with the wine.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions to help me out? Any and all will be a great help. Thanks in advance!