General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Replacing the Transmission Control Module (TCM) $2500 ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 10:15 AM
1st Gear
Default Audigary

You're not going to like the answer. There should be several posts from me regarding your Transmission Control Module. This is a problem with the early model Audi's with the CVT. While I had taken mine in to the dealership reporting a problem, Audi denied the problem for several years. Finally, there was a class-action law suit where Audi took responsibility for the issue, which relates to the TCM and the software programming.

Yes, you will need a new TCM. The dealership cost is usually about $2,500. There are two ways to reduce cost that I know of. First, I had my TCM taken out and I sent it to Xemdox in Canada and they re-programmed it for me, then I had it re-installed. I did this through a local shop that specializes in German cars, especially Audi. Re-programming and overnight shipping of the part was about $350, the removal and installation was about $1,000.

The second method is if your car is covered under the Audi settlement. They agreed to either fix the problem at no cost, or reimburse the owner for the cost if it had already been done. The kicker, however, was this applied only to cars that were under 100,000 miles and under 10 years old. Mine just missed, so Audi did NOTHING for me.

Of several of my posts, I have encouraged people to get this done. The cycle is the error code, then the PRNDL blinks, then the car has trouble in reverse gear, then the potential exists of the programming destroying the transmission. That is my understanding and personal experience of the entire issue. Hope that helps! Good luck!

Old 05-14-2015, 10:35 AM
1st Gear
Default Options for TCM fix?

I have a 2006 A4, check engine light came on, shooting out multiple codes (P1624, P0722, P1793, P1795). All of which seem to point to a transmission control module. I see suggestions to have it sent out and reprogrammed, should repairing the module solve my problems? Has anyone else repaired theirs only to find other trans problems? Just don't want to put ~$500+ worth of work into it to not solve the problem. Also, the Canadian company Xemodex has upped their prices it seems, has anyone else dealt with other reprogrammers with success?

Any help/insight/suggestions are appreciated. Thanks

Old 05-15-2015, 10:23 AM
1st Gear
Default Audi transmission

AudiGary:

Read through the threads on this topic. The CVT has a transmission control module that goes bad in the early models. If left unaddressed, the problem gets worse. First the PRNDL begins to blink, then you may not be able to use reverse, then the module can be responsible for the transmission destroying itself.

The stealership will charge about $2,500 for new module and then it must be programmed to the car. (Interesting how they can force you to the dealership). In my case, I had mine removed by a local garage that specializes in German cars, sent it to Zemodex I Canada, they re-programmed and sent it back the same day. My total bill was about $1,200.

During my ordeal, I posted a lot of detailed information on this subject for you. See if you can read all the threads on this.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:46 AM
1st Gear

Does anyone know a shop in or near jersey city nj that can replace a tcm for me

Old 08-27-2015, 05:53 PM
1st Gear
Default Transmission Control Module

You are not going to like the answer!!! You basically have two choices. Have the dealer replace the module, which will be new and they will have to re-program the new module to the transmission. They are proud of the price and that they now have you hostage. second, is there is a firm in Canada that will re-program the existing module for you. You will still need a local shop to remove the module, send it to Xemodex, get it back and re-install. I did it for about $1,200 for all, including overnight to Canada and overnight back.

Not doing this, can result in your transmission trashing itself. First, the PRNDL light flashes, then the reverse begins to not function well, then the transmission can literally destroy itself. So much for the "greatest transmission design since sliced bread".

There was a Class-Action Lawsuit on this topic and Audi agreed to a settlement. Basically, it would either repair the transmission at a dealer at no cost, or re-imburse the owner for repair costs. However....some clever attorney on the Audi side got two other requirements included...the car had to be less than 10 years old and less than 100,000 miles. I had just missed the reimbursement due to being slightly over the mileage.

I had posted several other more detailed messages on this site you may wish to review.

Old 10-30-2015, 03:20 PM
1st Gear

Just wanted to update in case anyone else is experiencing what I did. I ended up sending my TCM to Module Repair Pro. Its in California. Had it reprogrammed for about $250 (through their eBay page). Got it back in about 6 days. Haven't had any related issues since. Would definitely suggest them

Old 10-27-2017, 03:58 AM
1st Gear
Default Audi A4 2004 tcm removal

Hi everyone, i know this post is old but very helpful as im about to try the same thing. would any body be willing to email my a copy of the removal and refit procedure for the TCM from the service manual.
Thanks.

Last edited by johnp120; 10-27-2017 at 04:11 AM.
Old 10-29-2017, 04:49 PM
1st Gear
Default A4 transmission control module

I feel sorry for anyone having to deal with the failed TCM! I had to deal with it and it left a bad taste in my mouth about Audi.

After having verified comments on my service records in the Audi system about me mentioning the problems I was incurring, First, Audi denies any problem with the TCM, then later has to "fess up" when a class action law suite was filed. They agree to repair any TCM problem....or any car under 10 years old and less than 100,000 miles. I learn about all this a 103,000. No coverage for me!

On to the topic. I did have all the written documentation about removing the TCM. I kept complete maintenance records for my car and the documents went with the sale of it. Things I remember are....It must be removed with care. It has "prongs" that are part of the module and they can be damaged if removed too quickly. Second, I had my module removed at a local shop that works with Audi's (not the dealer). I sent it to Canada where there is a firm that will re-program the module and correct the software. The kicker is the car MAY have to go to the dealer to get "re-matched" by the dealer's computer. (Interesting!). But, my cost was far less to correct. The re-programming was about $150 (plus I paid for overnight shipping up and back) (they repaired the same day). I think my labor costs were about $600, but I don't have my records. I imagine there are many more shops that can repair now since the problem became much more apparent. So, it can be corrected and much less.

After getting my corrected, I sold my A4 Cabriolet. I think Audi is a BMW "want-a-be". I had nothing but trouble with m A4, many times small things and design flaws...such as a plastic retainer clip for the coolant sensor (why not use aluminum? Just a light and would not break heat from being mounted at the back of the engine) Also, have you changed oxygen sensors? (get ready, the engine has to be "lifted" to get at one of them.

I understand no manufacturer makes a car as reliable as Toyota (still at the top of the list for reliability) but Audi seems to cut corners, yet are trying to compete with other manufacturers that use better quality parts. The TCM incident is a classic. Time has healed Audi and they are doing better, but they sure did not want to offer customer service when they manufactured an engineering flaw! It took a class action law suit to get their attention.

Fix the TCM, sell the car.

Old 01-30-2018, 12:42 PM
1st Gear

I'm having the same problem aswell. Any place in Australia that would do it for cheap? or please direct me where i can find the parts? I'd really appreciate it.

Old 01-31-2018, 10:59 AM
1st Gear
Default Gary: Transmission control module

Gary: Do search through the posts on this topic. I know that I have posted several lengthy notes on this topic with many more details. The short answer is that you can get the TCM re-programmed by an outside source. I used one in Canada and I spent about $300 for the reprogramming and overnight delivery back and forth. Audi finally had to admit the problem in a class action law suit and offered to repair cars that were less than 10 years old and under 100,000 miles. While there was documentation in the Audi system about me bringing my car in prior to the 100,000 miles, they refused to offer any financial assistance. I did my research and determined my plan. I used a local repair shop that specializes in German cars, had the TCM removed and re-installed by them. I sent it off for the reprogramming. DO take this action since doing nothing can progress to the point that the electronics can actually self-destruct. It will continue to get worse. Your PRNDL light will flash, you will experience difficulties backing up and on & on.

You can actually remove the TCM yourself, if you wish. You will need a lift since the TCM is mounted on the transmission. Care should be taken when it is removed since it has "prongs" in the design and they must not be damaged when removed or reinstalled. Best of luck. After my 10 years of ownership, I sold my 2003 A4 Cabriolet because of on-going other things that seemed to come up.

Quick Reply: Replacing the Transmission Control Module (TCM) $2500 ?