General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

RS6 vs. M5?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 12:27 PM
1st Gear
Default RS6 vs. M5?

Just out of idle curiosity (God knows, I can't afford either!) ..... How would an stock RS6 fare against an stock BMW M5? (One of my buddies gets all hot and bothered whever we talk about the M5, and I told him that I'd rather have an RS6, and he almost imploded...) :-)

Old 08-09-2004, 10:53 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: RS6 vs. M5?

I have a feeling this is going to be a really long thread....

Tough call. I think this is a similar debate as the S4 vs M3 thread that was started a couple weeks ago. In a dry, straight line I think the M5 would probably squeak ahead, but in any varying conditions other than dry and straight, I would put my money on the RS6.

But if we are talkin bout the new M5, that's a whole new questions given that the new M5 is turnin 500hp!!!

Either way, I would much rather have an RS6 not only because it is much more elusive than the M5 on streets today, but also cuz it is a much better all-around vehicle!

Old 08-10-2004, 12:23 AM
2nd Gear

Do you mean in 1/4 mile time?

Old 08-10-2004, 03:50 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: norcaltrojan

I have a feeling this is going to be a really long thread....

Tough call. I think this is a similar debate as the S4 vs M3 thread that was started a couple weeks ago. In a dry, straight line I think the M5 would probably squeak ahead, but in any varying conditions other than dry and straight, I would put my money on the RS6.

But if we are talkin bout the new M5, that's a whole new questions given that the new M5 is turnin 500hp!!!

Either way, I would much rather have an RS6 not only because it is much more elusive than the M5 on streets today, but also cuz it is a much better all-around vehicle!
I would have to agree ....

Specially round here ... fricken BMWs are as common as Hondas now.

And I would say that the Audi is an all around better vehicle ... again, what he said.

I wouldn't kick it out of bed though ... )
If you get my meaning ....

Old 08-10-2004, 03:20 PM
3rd Gear

According to my figures, the RS6 has the edge in straight line acceleration. Even the new 500hp V10 will have trouble with the RS6, because of the added weight and the fact that the torque increase was minimal.

Old 08-10-2004, 04:54 PM
1st Gear

According to my figures, the RS6 has the edge in straight line acceleration. Even the new 500hp V10 will have trouble with the RS6, because of the added weight and the fact that the torque increase was minimal.
I haven't really researched the new M5, but I'm glad you looked into that! It's very reassuring!

And just for the record....I LOVE THE RS6!!!!!!!!

Old 08-11-2004, 02:51 PM
1st Gear

by the way, how much does the Rs6 run for. and wuts the specs on it. curious to compare to my 04 S4. thanxs

Old 08-11-2004, 08:03 PM
1st Gear

curious to compare to my 04 S4. thanxs
I think the word you are looking for instead of "compare" is "contrast."

Old 08-12-2004, 11:42 AM
1st Gear

while we are on the subject how much would an RS6 upgrade such as chip be in compare to the M5? Everyone always seems to mod their car. Are the performance mods cheaper than the BMW with better results(i guess i mean cost to performance ratio)? I suspect that would put the RS6 past the M5.

Old 08-12-2004, 09:47 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: 1.8t20v

while we are on the subject how much would an RS6 upgrade such as chip be in compare to the M5? Everyone always seems to mod their car. Are the performance mods cheaper than the BMW with better results(i guess i mean cost to performance ratio)? I suspect that would put the RS6 past the M5.
I'll let the others jump in on all the details to the answers to your questions, but I will mention one thing that many folks don't realize...
The BMW machines, allbeit beasts, are tuned up to their maximum. BMW does not "de-tune" their cars like many other manufacturers. So... upgrading an M5 is nearly impossible without resorting to severe/radical modifications. If an owner decides to go that route, then anything is possible. Any owner can make their car an absolute monster with the right engineering and budget. So it's all a relative thing. As the saying goes, there will always be someone that will make their car go faster and handle better than the last one.