General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Shop says turbos, I think not. Help requested!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 09:39 PM
1st Gear
Default Shop says turbos, I think not. Help requested!

Doing my part to add to the "did my turbos blow?" thread count. Before you bash me for not searching, please read as the symptoms are not really typical from what I could tell.

I recently had my S4's power steering inspected following large leaks and walked away with a $900 estimate. Okay, easy day.

However, on the trip home, doingabout 45, the car suddenly lost power and was barely running, the throttle was completely ineffective and the car just felt terribly sick. I monitored the lights, gauges and cel which was flashing but it all happened too fast to see an overheat condition or anything of the sort. I then began to monitor the rearview for smoke, there was none. I could however, smell something new, not the usual power steering fluid smell. As I looked back into the rearview, I saw 2-3 pieces of glowing metal fly away from the car. I was thinking from the exhaust but I can't be sure. I immediately shut the car off to coast home as I was nearly there where I managed to just hit my driveway.

I popped the hood, cursed a few times and could see nothing immediately wrong. My first inclination was the turbos, I knew they were bound to go, but I drive this car like an old lady, I never figured "now?" I let the car sit for 45 minutes or so and got back in. I turned the key and the car fired right up. I took it up the street and everything spooled and responded like normal, throttle and turbos were all functioning as before. Then after a few minutes the problem came back. WTF?

I had it taken back to the shop that did the inspection and they say the passenger turbo is bad, based on them finding "about a quart" of oil in the intercooler piping. There were several codes and they remained firm in their deduction. I however thought that it must bea catalytic converter.Why would the turbos act normal after sitting for a few minutes? What caused the glowing metal? Why was there no smoke?

Can anyone help me? If I missed a good blown turbo thread, please post a link or pm. Thanks!
BTW, this is a 2001 S4, 6 speed with 148000 (Yes) miles. GIAC chip and forged DVs arethe only engine mod

Old 07-29-2007, 12:21 AM
4th Gear
Default RE: Shop says turbos, I think not. Help requested!

The codes should be posted.

Old 07-30-2007, 12:28 AM
4th Gear

it may be the cats just shotting out some burned honeycomb but the possibility of a blown turbo cant be dismissed just yet, post the codes that were pulled and then take it to a mechanc that will actually look at the turbo and see if the fins are chipped or anything.

Old 07-30-2007, 02:19 AM
1st Gear

Having it taken to the dealer tomorrow. If it is the turbo(s), I've found some new K03's for $1100 shipped, I could always dig the resale value new turbos would produce.