General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

should i buy?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 08:26 PM
1st Gear
Default should i buy?

I posted this earlier in the NOOB section, no replies yet. Hopefully someone will hit me back soon. I'm looking at purchasing this Audi. I've test driven it, and darn near every other A4 in my area, and have fallen in love. Audi all the way. Problem is, when I took it to my mech for a pre-buy inspection, he found that the transmission tail gasket is leaking. it's leaking bad. not puddle bad, but there is fluid sporadically coating the undercarraige all the way back to the gas tank. I'm wondering if anyone could give me more insight into this. Specifically the cost and time of repair if i do it myself. Is this even a repair I'd want to undertake? This would be my first Audi, so I'll be lost as to what's where, tools needed, etc. Any and all comments/recommendations would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks again. Michael

Old 11-29-2005, 08:53 PM
Default RE: should i buy?

Power Everything, Premium Sound, Moon Roof, Leather, ABS (4-Wheel), and MORE! Please contact Jay or Bill @ 1-866-867-0423.

Driver Air Bag; Air Conditioning; Alloy Wheels; Cruise Control; Passenger Air Bag; Power Seats; Leather Seats; Power Door Locks; Power Mirrors; Power Windows; Power Steering; Sunroof/Moonroof; Tilt Wheel;
all standard fancy words like sunroof/moon roof and a standard sterio[:@]9.5k as is leak sorted 11k max

Old 11-29-2005, 09:14 PM
1st Gear

Thanks 80. Any idea how much the repair would cost. I'd like a ball park so I can throw some numbers at this dealer. Not a nice guy, by the way... actually are ANY of them nice? Local Audi dealer quoted it around $600. Is it really that expensive for one gasket?

Old 11-30-2005, 08:49 PM

it is expensive for a little rear crank seal, the gearbox has to come off and flywheel to get at the seal so not a simple job but now you have a ball park figure to knock his price down, the seal over here is £1.50 approx $3 the job is labour intensive

Old 11-30-2005, 09:59 PM
1st Gear

if its the seal im thinking your talking of its the propshaft seal, tailshaft seal. usually takes about an hour to do, but usually dealer charges 3 hours. so at a labor rate of 100 an hour id say a quote around 300-400 sounds a little better. that propshaft seal only costs about 10 bucks. if its a rear main seal, where the tranny bolts to the engine then it will be alot more and 600 dollars is cheap.