AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/general-tech-50/)
-   -   Shuts off While Driving, Starts Right Back Up, Repeat (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/general-tech-50/shuts-off-while-driving-starts-right-back-up-repeat-226480/)

BOWB7A4 11-20-2017 03:21 PM

Shuts off While Driving, Starts Right Back Up, Repeat

2008 A4 2.0 CVT 155,000 miles

I took my car to the shop because of a rough idle and left with a car that dies for no apparent reason.

What happens is, it'll drive fine for the first five minutes and then the car will randomly drop rpm's throwing the car forward and then shut off. Like the battery just died; I'll pull over, let the car come to a stop, and start it right back up. Just to have it happen again 30 seconds later. It seems to happen when the car is warm and/or when I hit a bump in the road. The car idles perfect, and I can rev it up to 3500 rpm's in neutral or park without a hitch.

I took it back to the shop, they thought it was the cam follower, but he checked it and said it looked brand new. I asked for him to check the camshaft and crankshaft sensors, and he said that the car is not throwing codes for anything, so they're fine.
They're saying its the transmission, but I have my doubts because I have never heard of a transmission shutting the whole car down without having a previous problem or warning. I'm thinking it's something electrical, maybe a bad battery connection.

I don't want to pay them the labor to take the transmission out and put it back in just to find out it was something else the whole time.

If anyone has any ideas or advice please help!!!!!

Couz Neau 11-20-2017 08:24 PM

Im having same problem,I think mine has to do with alternator. Does your battery eventually die and need a charge?

Anicet Philip 02-10-2018 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by BOWB7A4 (Post 1515825)
2008 A4 2.0 CVT 155,000 miles

I took my car to the shop because of a rough idle and left with a car that dies for no apparent reason.

What happens is, it'll drive fine for the first five minutes and then the car will randomly drop rpm's throwing the car forward and then shut off. Like the battery just died; I'll pull over, let the car come to a stop, and start it right back up. Just to have it happen again 30 seconds later. It seems to happen when the car is warm and/or when I hit a bump in the road. The car idles perfect, and I can rev it up to 3500 rpm's in neutral or park without a hitch.

I took it back to the shop, they thought it was the cam follower, but he checked it and said it looked brand new. I asked for him to check the camshaft and crankshaft sensors, and he said that the car is not throwing codes for anything, so they're fine.
They're saying its the transmission, but I have my doubts because I have never heard of a transmission shutting the whole car down without having a previous problem or warning. I'm thinking it's something electrical, maybe a bad battery connection.

I don't want to pay them the labor to take the transmission out and put it back in just to find out it was something else the whole time.

If anyone has any ideas or advice please help!!!!!

Hi, I was driving my Audi A4 2006 model and for about 6km i was on Auto-manual then i reached a speed bumb and slow down a bit. After that i switched back in to Automatic drive and about 100meters the car just shutdown!! Can anyone help know what it is? Checked the engine oil radiator all is okay except for parking loght that is blinking on and off all the time!! Please help thanks