General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

some questions

Old 08-09-2005, 08:19 PM
Default some questions

I just had my A4 inspected about 5 weeks ago. i had brakes put on and immediately the abs light and brake light went on. The mechanic could not turn them off and referred me to a dealer. When I went to the dealer, he said i had to replace the whole system costing $1625.00.

Also, I had the check engine light come on once about 4 weeks ago and I mentioned that to the dealer as well and he said I needed a catalitic converter (also costing $1625 but i had just passed emissions with the inspection.

then they charged me $270 to tell me this
Do dealers uusually charge like this? I feel cheated.

I also was told that it may have been that the gas cap was loose which caused the check engine light to go on - anyone hear of this?[:@]

Old 08-09-2005, 09:04 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: some questions

There's a reason we call them stealerships. You might have a dirty ABS wheel sensor. Do a search for ABS ESP Lights. audiscientist wrote a procedure for diagnosing this with a VAG-COM.

I'll bring that thread back up for you. I know I'l be flamed for this.

Old 08-10-2005, 02:01 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: some questions

Why would you get flamed for it?

Old 01-16-2010, 01:47 AM
GB5
1st Gear

Sold
Sold
Sold
Sold

Old 01-16-2010, 10:00 PM
Tech Certified

First of all in the dealers defense an EVAP Leak fault and a CAT Efficiency fault are two VERY VERY different things and not even the worst Audi Tech can confuse the two.

It IS POSSIBLE but for a loose cap or a cap that has been removed while the car is running to throw a Check Engine Light...

It IS NOT POSSIBLE for it to throw a CAT Eff fault.

And for the brakes... Any number of things could have happened. They could have messed up the install and things needed to be redone. Or they could have used cheap pads without the wear sensors.

Dealerships are NOT generally "Stealerships"..... They are and they aren't. Technicians can't control the hourly rate or the parts matrix pricing system.

My dealer charges around 120.00 an hour and mark up parts almost 100% over cost. Its ridiculous. I know.

But generally.... No aftermarket shop compares quality wise.... local shops where i live contract side work to Audi Techs where i work anyways.

So you'd be surprised what happens behind "closed doors"

Old 02-08-2010, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Audi Tek
First of all in the dealers defense an EVAP Leak fault and a CAT Efficiency fault are two VERY VERY different things and not even the worst Audi Tech can confuse the two.

It IS POSSIBLE but for a loose cap or a cap that has been removed while the car is running to throw a Check Engine Light...

It IS NOT POSSIBLE for it to throw a CAT Eff fault.

And for the brakes... Any number of things could have happened. They could have messed up the install and things needed to be redone. Or they could have used cheap pads without the wear sensors.

Dealerships are NOT generally "Stealerships"..... They are and they aren't. Technicians can't control the hourly rate or the parts matrix pricing system.

My dealer charges around 120.00 an hour and mark up parts almost 100% over cost. Its ridiculous. I know.

But generally.... No aftermarket shop compares quality wise.... local shops where i live contract side work to Audi Techs where i work anyways.

So you'd be surprised what happens behind "closed doors"
Thanks for the info