General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

sounds like a wheel bearing, what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 12:18 AM
1st Gear
Default sounds like a wheel bearing, what do you think?

okay so the more ive read on here and the more ive thought about it, i think that the metal on metal grinding noise thats coming from my front drivers side wheel is the wheel bearing.

it sounds like if you wore the breaks down to metal on metal, kinda like a grinding wurring noise, that starts at around 15-20 mph, doesnt go away when i brake, gets worse when i turn left, almost disappears when i turn right. theres also a bit of grease splatter on the side of my car.

what do you guys think?

is the bearing something you can get at say napa or auto value or car quest? ive never had to get a part for a foreign car, especially european. ill have to go in and ask tomorrow but has anyone else gotten audi parts at a supply chain like napa?

Old 09-04-2007, 12:56 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: sounds like a wheel bearing, what do you think?

Front right wheel bearing would make more noise when turning left.

Old 09-05-2007, 12:09 PM
4th Gear

just because you said theres grease splatter check to see if you have a torn CV boot. i had almos the same stuff going on when my CV boot failed.

Old 09-06-2007, 07:13 PM
1st Gear

cv boot change!

Old 09-10-2007, 04:44 PM
1st Gear

i checked both CV boots, they are both fine. on the passenger side as well

when i bought the car the guy i bought it from said he had the drivers side cv axle replaced when he took it to the shop to have alot of other stuff done. the drivers side and passengers side axles are noticibly different. the drivers side is alot thicker than the passenger side, i dont know if that has anything to do with it, maybe they put in the wrong axle, but who knows. also i tried looking to see if there was any other grease down there an there wasnt much of anything really, pretty clean

when i was under the car i turned the axle and the sound sounded like it was coming more from where the axle mounts to the tranny compared to by the wheel. anyone have any idea if there could be anything in there that would make a noise?

Old 09-18-2007, 01:55 PM

Than i would say wheel bearing...you should change it asap so you dont mess up the ABS sensor...they are expensive ($200)