General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Steering Rack

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 12:40 PM
1st Gear
Default Steering Rack

Ok, My steering rack is somehow dropped on the passenger side wheel well where the tie rod connects to it. A long part on the bottom of it is hitting my wheel well and everytime i turn left it pops out and it sounds dirty, and also when i turn it back the wheel gets stuck and i have to push it back ( but not to hard )...Heres pictures...

Now its been doing that for a while, even before i got a drop. I dont know what the heck is wrong, did a screw get loose? or what i need suggestions, this thing is huge so i know its not bent or anything extreme like that hopefully, I just want things you would do if this would happen to you, what to check for what to look for i have no clue, i never messed with steering racks before...

Old 01-01-2008, 06:54 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Steering Rack

Your rack bolts probably fell out, or are extreamly loose. Check the plenum for a couple of bolts that are loose. The part of the rack thats hitting the body shouldnt even move if memory serves me correct.

Old 01-02-2008, 12:00 AM
1st Gear

I think that part is referred to as the dampner. It's not a "part" of the rack, but a separate piece.

Old 01-02-2008, 06:04 AM
1st Gear

So maybe screws? i did remember seening some threads deep inside one day but they were impossible to reach so i didnt try at the time, maybe there are some screws loose, my car seems to have alot of screws loose all the time, my intake a came off a couple of times as well but my engine dose have some play in it thats why im ordering that front mount bracket from 034motorsports.com because that will greatly make my vibration issue min. Ill have a check for loose screws tomorrow, im tired as crap right now been racing all day... thanks though ill tell you if anything is updated