General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Still won't start!!!

Old 02-13-2016, 09:13 AM
1st Gear
Default Still won't start!!!

Ok well I posted a while ago about my a4 B5 not starting. Turn the key all the lights and everything comes on like normal. But when turn key to start nothing happens. No click no nothing. So I just replaced the alternator so that's not a issue, not I replaced the battery with a brand new one still nothing went out last night bought a brand new starter (old one tested bad) put the new starter in still fukn NOTHING! What's wrong!!! There was no signs of any problems. Drove fine the day before perfect, parjed for the night went out in the a.m. n bamm nothing!! P.S. when I hook a test light to the battery groung and touch the valve cover it lights up?? So there's constant circulating power?? ALL HRLP NEEDED!!! Thank you!!!

Old 02-13-2016, 11:31 AM
2nd Gear

Why are you throwing all these expensive parts at this thing when it's probably the battery. Look and see if you can find a manufacture date on it. If it's more than 5 years old, replace it. It takes a LOT of amps to crank the starter (lights and stuff will work). Have you had the battery load tested?

Also it is impossible to connect a test light to the ground on the battery terminal (-) and get it to light up by touching another ground (valve cover).

Old 02-13-2016, 11:41 AM
1st Gear

I just bought the battery 110$ two days ago when I posted the first thread. It's brand new 2015 battery. N I have a snap on load tester the battery is good. And ik that it should be impossible but its happening, when I hook the light to the (-) off the battery n touch the valve cover it lights up. I'm a certified mechanic but have never had or touched a Audi before till now n this thing is having all types of problems I have never experienced before. Idk wtf is going on.

Old 02-13-2016, 12:37 PM
2nd Gear

Interesting. But, really, Audi's are no different than any other car. Something is definitely grounded out though if the valve cover is hot. Got to be a pinched wire or a bare wire barely making contact causing a battery drain over a short time. Go over the engine wiring harness with a fine toothed comb checking for anything that might indicate a breach in the wiring directly to ground. Has any work been done to the engine that required removing anything substantial? Someone could have pinched the wiring putting it back together.

Old 02-14-2016, 07:58 AM
1st Gear

I have done all the work to the car since I got it and from what I see no k e touched it before me cuz the kif didn't know what he was doing that's y I got it, one of the coolant lines in the back of the head to the heater core was leaking he thot the head was bad but nope lol. I figured out the ground issue. The alternator that I put in was bad internally. Swapped alternators n that problem went away but now it still won't start. Same thing, turn the key everything comes on but won't start or even click. Battery stays chrged now valave cover is not hot anymore. Now I'm thinking that shorted alternator burned out somthing.

Old 02-14-2016, 11:17 AM
2nd Gear

Hopefully it's just a fuse or relay. Check any related to the ECU that you can find. I'd be super pissed at the place that sold me the grounded out alternator. That is unacceptable.

Old 02-14-2016, 04:29 PM
1st Gear

So I found one more ground wire that I took off n cleaned up the wore ends and the contact point and the god damn car started. One stupid ground wire!!! Start with the easy things I found out the hard way atleast I got a bunch of new parts I don't have to worry about now lmao. Thanks for the input guy's!

Old 02-14-2016, 04:31 PM
1st Gear

Andbyea I'm taking the bad alternator back tmrw and getting my money back. I already called and lost it n it is completely unacceptable!! They should be payn for my new starter to cuz I gairentee that's what burned it out!

Old 02-14-2016, 07:56 PM
2nd Gear

Sheww.. Glad you got that fixed. REALLY glad that it didn't fry anything. In all my years of working on cars (since I was 14-15, I'm 48 now) I would have never suspected a "new" alternator to be grounded out. Well, at least not without throwing obvious sparks.. LOL Ya learn something every day. It probably just burnt out the solenoid on the starter though. But, yeah, I'd take the starter back to and make them refund the jack for that..

Old 02-14-2016, 11:08 PM
1st Gear

Yea I wouldn't have ever thot the new alternator but that was the last thing I replaced and when I pulled the power off that n touched the test light to the valve cover boom no light. I was pissed!! They are 100% paym me back for that. N I drove it for two days with that alternator so I'm really lucky it didn't **** up alot more. Especially with a tuned ecu and bigger turbo n all the **** I put in in the last month advanced auto parts could have really fucked up my car. But once I jumped a wire from the new starter to the battery and tried hooking up a push button and it still didn't work I had to look for more ground wires. I already serviced 2 n found two more cleaned em off and bam. I was glad and mad lol. Yea I'm 28 n been ase certified since 18. Worked on government mail trucks for 8years n also a carpenter and union concrete finisher so all other work is out of my garage m dad built late model dirt track race cars growing up so I thot I had seen it all but these Germans take it to a whole new level lol