General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Stuck..need help..timing

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 10:24 AM
1st Gear
Default Stuck..need help..timing

Ok. So 99 audi a6 q b5 2.8l....I reran all the vacuum lines and car ran great...took it for a test drive after a oil n radiator flush...8 miles to a buddies too start a side job...I had water and Lil bit of shitt prestone antifreeze..too hold me over..totallyforgot I had the oem antifreeze...no over heating...ran great...so I get there..I hear a flapping noise...cars like ready for full paint so some things are of..or I can drop in a min like the front bumper anyway I'm in my buddies driveway after that test drive which was to his house everything's fine I'm glad in the car around a little or I shut it off and I turned it on and I hear this flapping noise and I had the driver side timing cover off it was a b**** to get back on so I was going to do with the next morning but I could see that the noise was commenting on the timing belt comes up and hits that tensioner up there on the driver side so another weeks gone by now I'm a body man I mean I'm from the mechanic but I'm not experienced and timing belts and engines anyway I got the serpentine belt off I got the whole radiator support off your thinking dancer connected still obviously I want to let that out into the atmosphere but there's play on one side of the timing belt and there it's tight on the other which I heard is normal for the grooved timing belts because of the positioning of the crank now it's like a fluster when the timing belts coming up if you're in the front less side of the car looking at right where you fill your oil to the left a little that sensor I think that's the cam positioning sensor correct me if I'm wrong but there's a piece inside that you can't see unless the timing belt covers off right before that you can see the belt flapping now the car is at 158 159k the water pump and timing belt has been serviced at I think 60 70 Thousand Miles by the previous owner I have the receipt you guys got understand my plan was just to paint this whole f****** thing and sell it I love the car but I ended up spending so much time tracing all these vacuum lines and running them I think they're all hooked up how they supposed to be but that's here nor there my issue is I got my car torn down at a buddies house I don't think the timing belt is bad maybe they have tensioner went I don't know but it's still got tension and but that antifreeze thing I know the time though you do the water pump water pump was done on the time no service 70 60,000 miles like I said the car never overheated when I was letting it run and stuff flushing the radiator flush LOL I would never put that antifreeze and water in my car but I was just going there I said 8 Miles tops and I found the OEM antifreeze and I stay in my trunk still haven't put it in yet but you think maybe that something has something to do with it the water pump maybe didn't isn't registering because I don't know I ran it maybe too long with s*** in it I mean have the body shop let these cars run with nothing in them and bring them over to paint for longer than I did I mean I don't know it just seems like the time that has tension on the bottom so loose at the top right now I just don't know where to go from here and any help with just be freaking amazing cuz I'm so stuck I'm up hey level bodyman be level mechanic B+ level mechanic I would say but I've never done a timed out I watched a lot of stuff and how to do them yeah any feedback would be great I mean I did try and see if the tensioner was loose for the timing belt I did crank it tight it move bolt moved a little bit barely even a revolution I should say barely even and quarter of a quarter of a revolution so it was tight what should I do what is my next step because if I change the tensioner I got to pull the timing belt off and then I might as well just change everything I ain't got the money really for that but I'll find a way that you got to do what you got to do anyway once again I'm new on here and trying to get on this form Forever I finally got the activation you no but anyway any knowledge would be great here I have photos of it right now anybody wants to get in touch with me I think you can email me I need help I'm stuck and I just don't know what to do and I don't want to leave it sitting at this kid's house because all my tools are there not all of them but yeah.
The car runs.. Starts ...no check e lite... only Currington over twice just to see where it was going or hear the noise is coming from and maybe one more time I don't think it jumped any teeth cuz it's got tension on it at first I didn't think it did but like I said after I did the reading attention changes as long as where the crankshaft is sorry to ramble on this is just been on my mind and on my priority list and I don't know what to do thank you nice to meet you all my name is Joe

Old 08-23-2017, 09:40 AM
2nd Gear

Not trying to be an *** or anything but between auto correct using the wrong words and lack of punctuation makes your post very hard to understand.

Never add any other antifreeze to the OEM stuff except OEM or just straight up distilled water. However, the flapping in the timing belt area is not good. But if a tensioner goes, it's gonna jump time and not run... If it's still running and the Check Engine Light isn't on, it hasn't jumped time.

Old 08-23-2017, 09:59 AM
1st Gear
Default Hey

Originally Posted by dave944
Not trying to be an *** or anything but between auto correct using the wrong words and lack of punctuation makes your post very hard to understand.

Never add any other antifreeze to the OEM stuff except OEM or just straight up distilled water. However, the flapping in the timing belt area is not good. But if a tensioner goes, it's gonna jump time and not run... If it's still running and the Check Engine Light isn't on, it hasn't jumped time.
All I had layin around and it was getting flushed...but sorry that dum text too talk...Dave that helps...see no codes ...u have a email i can email couple pictures...belts in good shape...just a flutter in belt only on its way up too that driver side cam wheel...let me know thanks man....I'm joejr6975@gmail

Old 08-24-2017, 08:13 AM
2nd Gear

Send'em to dave87944@yahoo.com and I'll take a look.