General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

transmission fluid

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 11:15 PM
1st Gear
Default transmission fluid

can anyone tell me where do I add transmission fluid to my 2002 Audi Allroad Quattro 7.2L

Old 05-02-2017, 08:46 AM
2nd Gear

You can only fill it from underneath. There is a round recess in the pan with a plug about 2" up into that recess. The engine MUST be running when you open that plug or a couple or three liters of very expensive fluid will run out. Normal filling procedure is fill it to where it starts to run out of the recessed hole while the engine is running. This insures there is always at least that much fluid in the pan when the engine is running. Be sure to reinstall the plug BEFORE turning the engine off.

Old 05-03-2017, 03:46 PM
1st Gear

I had to change my radiator, do you thing that I could of lost enough transmission fluid that I should need to put some in ? or will the old radiator have transmission fluid in it that needs replaced? when I first drove my car it seemed like the trans. slipped for a bit and now after driving it for awhile it seems fine now , also after driving it for a while that light with a triangle with the circle around it went out . the motor runs great my only concern now is should I check the transmission fluid any maybe but some in

Old 05-04-2017, 07:21 AM
2nd Gear

Unless you spilled a huge amount out, it's probably fine. But I would still top off the fluid. Use only the fluid specified. It's a synthetic and costs about $10-11 a liter. I get mine from Blauparts.com. Whatever you do, do not try to use regular ATF because it will kill the seals in the trans and effectively trash it. If the transmission fluid and filter hasn't been changed in a while, I recommend you go ahead and do that while you're into it. You can get fluid/filter change kits from Blauparts too. I need to do my D2 A8L again soon as it's been about 4 years.

Old 05-04-2017, 07:32 PM
1st Gear

I purchased 2 Liters at my local VW dealer it coast me $47 for 2 one liter bottles it sounds like it a lot cheeper at Blauparts.com ill have to check it out thanks

Old 05-05-2017, 06:39 PM
2nd Gear

Yeah.. It's only about $15 a liter at Blauparts. Here's the fluid change kit for yours with everything.

Audi Allroad Transmission Fluid Filter Change Kit - Audi ATF