General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

TT 3.2 V6 DSG. Clatter in even gears.

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 04:16 PM
1st Gear
Default TT 3.2 V6 DSG. Clatter in even gears.

Hi,

I have a strange noise that's started with my 2003 TT V6 DSG and would appreciate any pointers before I take into the garage (independent). It started half an hour after I hit a pot hole really hard with the left wheel but this may just be a coincidence and not related.

Here's the facts:

- The car drives smoothly and changes up and down gears fine in any mode (auto, sport or manual paddle)
- The car does not jerk at all in any gear or any speed
- When the car is warm I get a clatter like metal hitting metal when I apply power (more so at low revs)
- The noise it like metal hitting metal. It's not a grinding noise.
- The noise is not there when the car cold, only when it's warmed up
- The noise lasts only half a second when I apply power, it's not continuous and doesn't do it when cruising and not for the whole time I'm accelerating, just when I first apply power
- Sounds like it from the bottom front area of the car
- The noise appears to be in even gears only (really noticeably in 4th, a bit less loud in 2nd and only slightly there in 6th)
- No dash lights flashing - gear readout is as should be.

Obviously I'm hoping it's not the gearbox but I don't like the fact it's only there in even gears.
I'd be grateful if anyone can offer any opinion as I can't find any similar symptoms posted on the net by any other owners.

Thanks.

Old 11-23-2016, 09:15 PM
2nd Gear

Sounds to me like there may a heat shield or something banging around that may have been jarred loose by the pot hole impact. Also might be an outer CV joint on that side. I'd pull the wheel on that side and inspect the brake splash shield and drive shaft shields for that particular corner of the car.