General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

TURBO SOUNDS LIKE ZIPLINE

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 11:42 AM
1st Gear
Default TURBO SOUNDS LIKE ZIPLINE

i've had a '01 A6 with the 2.7T and a six speed manual for three days now.89k on it.everything was fine until last night. i'm new at this turbo business but i have a lot of mechanic experience and what i believe happened initially is i hit water or bad gas in the tank. coming off a normal drive with the fuel light just on the car slowly started bucking and eventually just died and would not restart. i put 2 gallons in it and got it started and spent about 5 minutes on throttle just keeping it alive. anyways that problem cleared up and now the car drives completely normal but the shaking was enough to pull the intake hose from the airbox off....(i think someone didnt have it very tight to begin with.).......now...it sounds like one turbo is normal and the other like a zipline......going really fast. thats just the best analogy i could think of ....obviously when it spools up it gets to a much higher pitch, but still not norma.....any ideas? i checked all the intake lines i could but i dont even know how the metal intake to the turbo is attatched. i would normally associate this noise with a turbo dying but there is no loss of power or smoke.....just an annoying loud noise. also, it would be a huge coincidence for it die right after i had this.......well what i believe to be water in the tank problem.

Old 05-30-2007, 02:46 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: TURBO SOUNDS LIKE ZIPLINE

have you lost a lot of power? if a turbo goes bad it'll sound like a high pitched dentist drill. and if one of the turbos is indeed bad, you should have experienced a significant loss of power.

LampyB.