General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Used steering column 2005 A6 Quattro

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 02:54 PM
1st Gear
Red face Used steering column 2005 A6 Quattro

I have the opportunity to buy a low mileage good condition steering column with a one year warranty, even on the steering lock module from a reputable parts dealer. Audi dealers in ATL say they could only program a new one. They tell me they can't wipe and reprogram.
I asked all three this question, if you miss program a new one then are you telling me the customer would have to buy a second new one or your dealership would have to eat an incorrectly programmed unit, or do you have a way to reprogram it only if it is a new unit. All of them decline to answer or threw out some BS.
Can a real Audi guy tell me if re programming on the module can be done?
Thanks
lazyolddawg

Old 03-02-2014, 07:14 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by lazyolddawg
I have the opportunity to buy a low mileage good condition steering column with a one year warranty, even on the steering lock module from a reputable parts dealer. Audi dealers in ATL say they could only program a new one. They tell me they can't wipe and reprogram.
I asked all three this question, if you miss program a new one then are you telling me the customer would have to buy a second new one or your dealership would have to eat an incorrectly programmed unit, or do you have a way to reprogram it only if it is a new unit. All of them decline to answer or threw out some BS.
Can a real Audi guy tell me if re programming on the module can be done?
Thanks
lazyolddawg
Just curious as to what you ended up doing? Did the used column work?

Old 12-01-2014, 03:17 PM
1st Gear

I second this I would like to know if a used column would work. I am in this boat now.

Old 12-02-2014, 07:43 AM
1st Gear

I ended up having to buy new steering column from dealer. They will not program a used one. Programming of Key interlock is now done straight to server in Germany, tech does not have access to codes. Column can only be matched to 1 vin # thus reprogramming of used column will not work.

Old 12-03-2014, 09:55 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the reply. My dealer told me the same thing today. I think the problem is mechanical with the lock mechanism itself and not electrical. It can probably be repaired if someone spend the time to take a column apart.