General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

What is this horrible sound?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 09:53 PM
1st Gear
Default What is this horrible sound?

2008 A3

This grating/scraping sound has gotten worse the past couple times I've driven. This last time the car barely started, like the battery was dead (it's almost new).

Obviously I need to take it in, but wondering if anyone can tell what's wrong from the sound? The engine bay smelled like burning electronics...

Old 01-11-2016, 08:08 AM
2nd Gear

It's probably the alternator... Either that or the idler pulley on the accessory belt tensioner is going bad. If it's really an electrical smell, I would suspect the alternator first. You might remove the belt a spin the thing with your hand. It should spin freely and almost silently. Any noises or rattles, there's your culprit. Also I wouldn't recommend driving it until you find the issues for sure. If it is the alternator, it very well could catch fire under the right conditions..

Old 01-12-2016, 04:15 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the info. I'm pretty familiar with the smell of burning electronics (though it could be heated/burning plastic/rubber too I guess), so sounds like it could be the alternator. I also found a piece of what can only be described as fuzz/link just inside the alternator casing. Not sure if that's relevant. I'll take it to a shop close by tomorrow.