General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Whining noise when coasting... Inner CV joint?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 01:13 PM
1st Gear
Unhappy Whining noise when coasting... Inner CV joint?

2002 Audi A6 3.0 quattro 5-spd tip auto trans 135k miles

Please help! Over the past couple months I have had a whining noise coming from what sounds like the front passenger side... possibly under the car. It only happens when I am slowing down, foot off the gas... braking does nothing it still makes the same noise. Higher pitch at higher speed going to a lower pitch as I slow down.

I literally just came in from changing both front wheel bearings thinking that was the problem and it would be an easy fix. I inspected the CV boots and they looked to be in decent shape. Went for a test drive for about an hour of anger because it is still making the same noise.

A little history... This noise volume is slowly increasing. I first noticed the noise mid Sept. 2010. In the past 2 weeks I have; replaced both front wheel bearings, front and rear brakes and rotors, tranny fluid change with filter (tranny shifts awsome), Passenger rear O2 sensor. NOISE IS STILL THERE GRRRR.

I have never heard or seen an inner CV joint go but I know there are bearings in them and it defiantly sounds like worn bearings. Could the CV joint be the problem? I have heard bad things about aftermarket/rebuilt axles, who makes a good full axle assembly? Could it be the drive shaft bearings aft the trans?

Please help, Audi dealership is far from where I am at in Petersburg, VA. I just smashed my hand removing the wheel bearings that apparently were still good. I am driving back home to Minnesota for Christmas/New Years and really would like to fix it before I go.

Thanks